cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

Re: hey Rick, can you help me with a number

@sdholloway56 wrote:

I’d define an infection as someone testing positive with a PCR test.

Someone whose immune system neutralized the initial challenge would not.

I'd say some evident symptom.  Trust me, lots of false positives.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Then you're going to find very few "infections" among vaccinated people.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

What do you want sam?

Evidence that the vaccine works?

Australia has used the Astra Zeneca until recently and this story points out how effective it is.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-28/vaccinated-attendees-west-hoxton-birthday-party-avoid-covid-1...

The West Hoxton party — described as a "super spreader" event — has become one of the most significant transmission events in the NSW breakout with 24 of the 30 attendees, and many of their household contacts, all testing positive for COVID-19.

The virus would have had a near 100 per cent transmission rate were it not for six people who attended the party who had already received a jab.

"To emphasise just how important vaccinations are … not one of those 24 people were vaccinated," NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard said on Monday.

"I can also advise that six health workers who attended the party, who were fully vaccinated, not one of those people has been infected."

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

CDC says 3900 fully vaccinated individuals (out of 150M) have been hospitalized.

1000 of those were hospitalized for other matters and just tested positive in routine tests.

Where's the King of Decimal Points when you need him?

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

@Canuck_2 wrote:

What do you want sam?

Evidence that the vaccine works?

Australia has used the Astra Zeneca until recently and this story points out how effective it is.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-28/vaccinated-attendees-west-hoxton-birthday-party-avoid-covid-1...

The West Hoxton party — described as a "super spreader" event — has become one of the most significant transmission events in the NSW breakout with 24 of the 30 attendees, and many of their household contacts, all testing positive for COVID-19.

The virus would have had a near 100 per cent transmission rate were it not for six people who attended the party who had already received a jab.

"To emphasise just how important vaccinations are … not one of those 24 people were vaccinated," NSW Health Minister Brad Hazzard said on Monday.

"I can also advise that six health workers who attended the party, who were fully vaccinated, not one of those people has been infected."

I have no doubt the vaccine works on the average to reduce the severity of infection.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of rate and severity of vaccinated infection vs. reinfection.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/vaccinated-people-account-for-half-of-new-covid-19-delta-cases-in-israe...

About half of infections in an outbreak of the Delta variant of Covid-19 in Israel were in people who were fully inoculated with the Pfizer Inc. vaccine, prompting the government to reimpose an indoor mask requirement and other measures to contain the highly transmissible strain. Preliminary findings by Israeli health officials suggest about 90% of the new infections were caused by the Delta variant, according to Ran Balicer, who leads an expert advisory panel on Covid-19 for the government. Around half of those infected were fully vaccinated, he said. Israel is now reassessing its Covid-19 regulations after moving to open up its society and economy after multiple lockdowns last year. “The entrance of the delta variant has changed the transition dynamics,” said Prof. Balicer, who is also the chief innovation officer for Israel’s largest health-management organization, Clalit.

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

Looking at the ramp in the case rate in the uk, which has an 80 some percent vax rate, its clear that the vaccines can not get us to herd immunity.  Just another lie.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Fortunately the two mRNA vaxes are much more effective than AZ against Delta.

Meaningless anecdata coming in from all over the country that near 100% of hospitalizations are unvaccinated. Actually some real data, as well.

When you went off the rails more than a year ago you just hit the throttle and kept plowing off across the desert.

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

"Meaningless"

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

clearly the only path to herd immunity is via natural infection. at this point in time, with the current vacines.  Also if you have natural immunity, the vax only gives you risk, no benefit.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.01.21258176v2.full

Results Among the 52238 included employees, 1359 (53%) of 2579 previously infected subjects remained unvaccinated, compared with 22777 (41%) of 49659 not previously infected. The cumulative incidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection remained almost zero among previously infected unvaccinated subjects, previously infected subjects who were vaccinated, and previously uninfected subjects who were vaccinated, compared with a steady increase in cumulative incidence among previously uninfected subjects who remained unvaccinated. Not one of the 1359 previously infected subjects who remained unvaccinated had a SARS-CoV-2 infection over the duration of the study. In a Cox proportional hazards regression model, after adjusting for the phase of the epidemic, vaccination was associated with a significantly lower risk of SARS-CoV-2 infection among those not previously infected (HR 0.031, 95% CI 0.015 to 0.061) but not among those previously infected (HR 0.313, 95% CI 0 to Infinity).

Conclusions Individuals who have had SARS-CoV-2 infection are unlikely to benefit from COVID-19 vaccination, and vaccines can be safely prioritized to those who have not been infected before.