cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

hey mask wearing idiots

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2006372?query=TOC 

"We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within 6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30 minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic"

17 Replies
jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

Re: hey mask wearing idiots

Do what you want.  I WILL CONTINUE to wear my mask for the foreseeable future.   The idiot, is all over you.  Does my wearing a mask hurt you in any way?

Jen

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

This is a foreign concept to you but the primary purpose is to protect others should you be pre- or asymptomatic.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

It alters the trajectory of aerosols should you cough, sneeze or be blowing hot air out your cakehole.

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

@jennys_mn wrote:

Do what you want.  I WILL CONTINUE to wear my mask for the foreseeable future.   The idiot, is all over you.  Does my wearing a mask hurt you in any way?

Jen

I completely support your right to wear anything you like.

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

@sdholloway56 wrote:

This is a foreign concept to you but the primary purpose is to protect others should you be pre- or asymptomatic.

"The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a public space is therefore minimal"  

Makes no mention of as long as those contagious are wearing masks.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Curiously, if I were a libertarian authoritarian I’d be hoping for the widespread adoption of everything and anything that might bend the R0 even a few tenths.

Otherwise the only hope is for your guy to steal the election.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

You're calling the Trump Administration Idiots?

WASHINGTON — The White House on Monday ordered all West Wing employees to wear masks at work unless they are sitting at their desks, an abrupt shift in policy after two aides working near the president — a military valet and Katie Miller, the vice president’s spokeswoman — tested positive for the coronavirus last week."
"In an internal email obtained by The New York Times, people who work in the cramped quarters around the Oval Office were told that “as an additional layer of protection, we are requiring everyone who enters the West Wing to wear a mask or face covering.” (NY Times)

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

The purpose of a mask is not to protect the person wearing it but to protect others from any virus you, the wearer, might send out to others..

it is the unselfish thing to do when physical distancing is not possible.

Now the next thing as a mask wearer is you need to learn to put it on and take it off properly and then store and or clean it properly AND do not touch your face or the mask.

And of course wash your hands often and correctly

So the person wearing a mask is not an 'idiot' but rather a person who thinks and cares about others. The person who refuses to wear a mask in appropriate places is uncaring and perhaps could/should be labeled as an impolite 'idiot'

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

from the article

""What is clear, however, is that universal masking alone is not a panacea. A mask will not protect providers caring for a patient with active Covid-19 if it’s not accompanied by meticulous hand hygiene, eye protection, gloves, and a gown. A mask alone will not prevent health care workers with early Covid-19 from contaminating their hands and spreading the virus to patients and colleagues. Focusing on universal masking alone may, paradoxically, lead to more transmission of Covid-19 if it diverts attention from implementing more fundamental infection-control measures."