cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Contributor

interesting story about colleges

https://apnews.com/2450688f9e67435c8590e59a1b0e5b47

I was listening to talk radio about this and had to chuckle.  A caller was complaining that these rich kids that weren't qualified were taking up space that could have been used by other qualified kids.

He was correct, but he was overlooking the reality of affirmative action kids doing exactly the same thing.

The government has been paying and intimidating colleges and universities to place minorities (other than Asian) into classes when they are not as qualified as others.  

4 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: interesting story about colleges

Asian kids actually are presently discriminated against at many institutions where quotas exist to counter their high scores. This is a modern echo  of what happened to Jewish scholars decades ago, and perhaps still takes place. I went to a private college that let prejudice against Jewish students, people of color, and other minorities go on so I witnessed this first hand. Decades later, I still am ashamed that I never stood up more for my fellow classmates.  

What is sadly ironic is that the same institution that was basically doing the Sgt. Schultz routine of  "seeing nothing, hearing nothing, doing nothing"  also published a book about that era and how great they were because they grabbed a few black athletes from deep in the south and brought them to campus to perform on their athletic fields.

Once you move away from a system that rewards excellence, and to a system that rewards mediocre performance, or much less, you are shooting yourself in your collective feet, as a country and doing a favor to no one. I would hate to ever have an asterisk next to my name belittling my accomplishments because of affirmative action. I also would hate to be denied an equal opportunity because of the shade of my skin, the slant of my eyes, or my religion or culture.

Veteran Contributor

As a consumer of services I have to be concerned about the level of competency when I encounter some people who may have been pushed through the educational process for political expediency.

One of my children graduated at the top of the class and another child who was close but didn't actually make it was also given the honor to equalize the the race/sex make up.

Senior Contributor

Get rid of all except intra-mural sports at all education levels in the U.S.  Do as other countries do and have sports, music, hobbies and so forth be a function of communities and clubs.  Maybe then small towns would get behind their baseball team (as they used to 50 years ago) and have some community spirit not relying on expensive high school gyms and track fields.

And sports and other activities would last longer for more people rather than end when the athlete leaves high school or college.

Senior Contributor

Get rid of all except intra-mural sports at all education levels in the U.S.

Always amazed me the amount of $$ spent on sports in some schools and keeping people in places in those schools who were not academically inclined instead of people who would use the education.

Think what those $$ could do to improve the education for worthy students.