cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

kids going into education?

anyone notice that allot of kids are going into education as a career? just wondering if anyone else has noticed this. talking to a variety of kids over the break, all want to go into education. smart kids that i would have thought would be interested in engineering, science, research, medicine, all say they are going into education. as best i can tell its because they can major in what they want add an education portion and get a 9 months out of the year job. one kid, about to graduate top of his class, smart smart kid, wants a degree in English lit because he likes to read, and hopes to ibe able to find a job teaching it. is this a trend, allot of out of work teachers out there.
45 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: kids going into education?

My friends, who went int teaching seemed to do so, because after tenure, they more or less are guaranteed a job for life. While not exactly lavish pay, they get good benefits, the best health coverage around, a generous retirement, regular raises, and free tuition for many who want to get their doctorate or Masters degree, which comes with a pay raise. Also, I don't know about elsewhere, but our school has a lot of teachers getting close to retirement, which will provide openings.
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

funny this subject came up with one of my teacher children over the holiday.  She is very bright.  Top 10 in her high school graduating class, magnum **bleep** laude from college I think.  By the way I think she gets her smarts from her dad not me.

I think the conversation was about teacher evaluations and it turned to who are the good teachers here in our local system.  She commented about how many of the teachers tried to discourage her from going into teaching because she was so smart she could do better.  But teaching was what she wanted to do and she is very dedicated, very good and very disgusted with the administration of the school systems.

Funny how teaching was once a very noble vocation.  Teachers were looked upon as exceptional people.  But I think we can thank our American war machine for the dumbing down and actual decline of the teaching profession.  Face it, basically teaching is an easy degree when compared to many others and it was used by thousands who wanted to avoid the debacle the government had going for our country in the 60's and it began to show that there were people teaching just as a job not as an avocation.

Then add in the cultural movements of the past several decades and you end up with children who do not know how to behave and teachers with their hands tied in trying to get acceptable behavior from the children.  Then add in the fact that it is now a fairly low paying occupation in which many move to administration to try to make more money; who then become more concerned about advancing their careers rather than doing what is good for the teachers and the children and you have a really big mess.  And to get kind of nasty about it there are children (and IMO many of the problem kids) in the public school system that say 60 years ago

would never have been there because those kids didn't go to school way back when.  But then what was there for them back then is gone now also.

My goodness, my son would say the Republican in me is showing up.

Highlighted
Advisor

Not teh Repbulican  in you DM...the real, genuine conservative.

The basic old time conservative in me also DM.  I agree with so much of what you say and our teacher daughter (people wondered too why she, so smart and all, wanted to teach.  Had to tell them that she in no uncertain terms  had  wanted to be a teacher since the first day she went to school herself when she was 5....we alway knew should would be one and she has nearly 15 years in  by now). ... and yours probably see all of these things basicly the same. 

Highlighted
Advisor

Nothing wrong with teaching, I'm just wondering if and why allot of kids are choosing it that might have greater potential. You're going to think that demeans teaching, its not really meant to, but I don't see much future for a country who's brightest choose teaching.
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

That's ironic...

I don't see much of a future for a country who doesn't do all that it can to get their brightest to become teachers.

If our children are well taught, they are a lot more likely to be successful and contribute to society. A good teacher makes a huge difference.

Highlighted
Advisor

Re: That's ironic...

You want the less bright to operate on your brain?
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

More ironic...

There's a shortage of really, really smart people who can't decide what profession they want? Gee...they must often ask, should I be a teacher or a brain surgeon? Must happen all the time.................maybe one really good science teacher can spawn dozens of potential brain surgeons.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: More ironic...

really good response Knapper.  I wa thinking all night just how to let samnospam know how ridiculous he was.

Highlighted
Advisor

Re: More ironic...

Instead of the silly game you're trying to play knap you could try to answer the original question posed. I never said teachers weren't needed, I asked if more kids than normal were going into it. Don't be a silly little **bleep** and create strawmen. Some of the best and brightest goes into teaching and great, fine. Most do and we're toast as the technology leader.