cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

leaves ya scratching your head a bit, but I know why.

This little goodie is in the farm bill.  Ah just a bit of a primer, central state university has no agriculture  program, several schools in Ohio do that are also not land grants.

WOOSTER, Ohio — Since 1870, Ohio has had one land-grant institution: Ohio State University.

But a provision found within the 2014 farm bill, passed Jan. 29 by the U.S. House of Representatives could soon add a second school to that list: Central State University, near Dayton.

“There are a few dates in history that define Central State University; this will now be one of them,” said Central State University President Cynthia Jackson-Hammond in a released statement.

The designation will become official if the Senate passes the same farm bill, and if the president signs it into law. If so, Central State will be eligible for new federal funding to advance its agricultural education and research.

“This status allows Central State University to increase educational programming and partnership opportunities within Ohio’s agriculture industry,” Jackson-Hammond said.

This act also requires that the states provide matching funds in order to receive the federal monies.

About Central State

The historically black school, located in the town of Wilberforce, east of Dayton, actually was on track to be named a land-grant school in the 1890s, when a second Morrill Land Grant Act was approved — this time to extend federal funding for existing land- grant colleges, and to extend educational opportunities for African Americans.

According to a statement from Ohio Senators Chris Widener, R-Springfield; and Eric Kearney, D-Cincinnati, states with a policy of segregation or discrimination in their higher education system could not receive funds under the 1890 act unless they designated a second land-grant school open to black students.

Ohio did not have a segregation policy and therefore was free to choose where the funds went. The state ultimately chose to send those funds to Ohio State University.

http://www.farmanddairy.com/news/farm-bill-creates-second-land-grant-college-ohio/174388.html

4 Replies

Re: leaves ya scratching your head a bit, but I know why.

Theer are 1862 (original) and 1890 (historically black) Land Grants in all southern states.

If that durn Lincoln hadn't promoted and signed The Morrill Act, none of this would have happened and you'd have to watch Wild Kingdom reruns on Saturday afternoons.

Marlin and Jim are better looking than Thad and Urban, though.

Wooster rings a bell for me.  Are, or were, there a considerable number of African American farmers in that area?  Reason I ask is that I knew a family from there that had a really good herd of Hampshire hogs back in the late 60s-early 70s.  Can't for the life of me think of their name but am positive that their address was Wooster.

Nice people with really good, well tended and cared for hogs.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Burns your butt, doesn't it!!!

Wooster is where the news paper is, central state is a good 150 miles from there.  but I don't know if there were allot of black farmers near Wooster.   like I said there are ag schools in Ohio, central.state is not one of them.  given that ag is not exactly a growth field, there is no need for this.  its not 1890, nor 1960.  black kids are more than welcome at OSU or Wilmington.   its a waste.of money that makes. no sense. ........... except for that reason youre not supposed to talk about.