cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

libyan invasion

what is the difference between bushes war in iraq than us invading libya?

9 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: libyan invasion

WHEN DID WE INVADE LIBYA????

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

March 19 2011.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: it took 17 women to make up odummers mind

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

You need to inform the pentagon then.  We haven't invaded Libya at all.  UN forces are enforcing a NO-FLY zone and that means we take anti-air positions out to ensure safety for our's and other UN pilots.  Oh, forgot, you don't worry about our troops do you??

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

As others have pointed out this is not an invasion and it is UN sanctioned action.

That by itself is a big difference, indeed a legal difference, between the 2 actions as long as the actions called for by the UN are not exceeded.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Libyan invasion

Bart, we are doing more then just enforcing a no fly zone.  The U.N. resolution besides calling for a no fly zone also states, "to take all necessary measures to protect civilians under threat of attack in the country" and we are doing just that.  The U.S. has now also sent in fighter planes besides using cruise missiles and the U.N. coalition has also been targeting Qaddafi forces as they drive towards cities held by rebels.

Now the Arab League has voiced concern and grown hesitant as Qaddafi forces are being attacked as they worry about civilian casualties.

The U.S. and the U.N. keeps saying they are not there to get rid of Qaddafi and that he is not a target yet they all agree Qaddafi is the problem and has to go.   I'm a little perplexed over all this.  I don't think there is any doubt in anyone's mind that the problem is Qaddafi as opposed to some organization like the Taliban so why not get rid of the single problem?   It is alright to target and kill the soldiers in Qaddafi's army as they carry out his orders or risk severe punishment and possibly death if they fail to comply with his orders yet we will not target Qaddafi???

Anyone doubt a whole bunch of lives could have been saved if someone could have taken out Hitler long before WW II ended? 

I'm not trying to sound like a Hawk as I still would have preferred we never got involved in this mess but if you commit to taking military action then I think we and the U.N. should do it right so as to save the most lives possible.  We have no problem using drone fired missiles in Pakistan and Afghanistan to target Taliban leaders and except the possibility that there could be some collateral damage involving innocent civilians even though killing a few of these bad guys will not end the problem in those two countries.   I'm betting if we use a single cruise missiles to take out Qaddafi we would see most an immediate halt to the fighting. 

The problem then becomes who or what takes over power in Libya.  Hopefully we learn from past mistakes and don't get involved in picking his replacement.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

The no fly order directs that air defense be neutralized and attacks against Libyan planes who are strafing and bombing the rebels will be attacked or forced to land.  That is what we are doing.  We are not putting troops on the ground.  We are protecting our pilots and those of other UN countries with planes there.  Do you not know that several attempts were made to kill Hitler?  However, there is something sinister about outright assassinating a standing head of state and I am not sure that without all out declared war between two countries, we would ever approve of the CIA or someone in our control do that.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

The no fly order directs that air defense be neutralized and attacks against Libyan planes who are strafing and bombing the rebels will be attacked or forced to land.  That is what we are doing.  We are not putting troops on the ground.  We are protecting our pilots and those of other UN countries with planes there.  Do you not know that several attempts were made to kill Hitler?  However, there is something sinister about outright assassinating a standing head of state and I am not sure that without all out declared war between two countries, we would ever approve of the CIA or someone in our control do that.

Bart we are doing more then enforcing a no fly zone and we are not attacking any Libyan planes or helicopters in the air as none have gone up since the U.N. took action.  We have also been attacking Qaddafi ground forces that were not engaged in any fighting at the time they were attacked.  They were on the road heading towards a city held by rebels when U.N. planes attacked them.

Yes I know there were attempts to assassinate Hitler but you still don't answer the question or engage in debate of my premise that if the U.N. would drop a missile or bomb on Qaddafi's home killing him then the attacks on the rebels would cease immediately. 

I also know there is the rule making it illegal to target the heads of states of other countries which is great rule for those in charge calling the shots and executing the aggression but does little for the grunts on the ground following their orders. 

I also think to call Qaddafi a head of state is as laughable as calling North Korea's Kim Jong or Saddam a head of state.  I think it is time for the U.N. to call a spade a spade.  These guys are dictators and not heads of states and if the U.N. has no problem targeting and killing their soldiers following the orders of these brutal dictators then the U.N should have the guts to target the dictators calling the shots as well.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

You can call them whatever you want but they are heads of state.  They are the leader of their nation whether you , I or the whole world hates their guts.  The answer to your question IF we engaged in such things probably would end it until his supporters got out of shock and then there would be a gigantic civil war which we would probably be drawn into because they have lots of oil.  The only reason we are doing anything is because of oil and some weird request for us to establish a no-fly zone from the other Arab states all of whom hate us.  If we kill Qaddafi, most likely the rebels, as they have hinted at, would join forces with the loyal opposition to fight against the infidels of the west for attacking and killing their leader just like they said they would do if we put troops on the ground.