sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

lockdowns more economically efficient than disease

9 Replies
sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Re: lockdowns more economically efficient than disease

Conclusion

We provide evidence for the efficiency of lockdown policies in mitigating both the overall costs to the economy as well as the spread of COVID-19. The reason for this is that individuals engage in voluntary social distancing even in the absence of lockdowns, once the virus takes hold in their area. Hence, substantial economic costs are unavoidable, even when not locking down. Yet, the additional lockdown-induced social distancing plays an important role in preventing further medical costs. Indeed, for our estimates of the voluntary and mandated social distancing responses, all US states that imposed a lockdown would have incurred larger overall costs had they stayed open. Considering the correct counterfactual costs is therefore key in informing policy decisions during potential future waves of COVID-19.

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

There will be no more lock downs.  You all played your hand by enforcing it on some and not others. 

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

It was a pretty slick pivot from justtheflu hoax to they killed the economy.

Any deleted material in between?

r3020
Senior Advisor

Yeah. Black lives matter.

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

@sdholloway56 wrote:

It was a pretty slick pivot from justtheflu hoax to they killed the economy.

Any deleted material in between?

You mean the part where democrats paused the panicdemic so they could riot?

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

If there is negligible asymptomatic spread lock downs did nothing but hurt the economy.  Prevented nothing.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asymptomatic-coronavirus-patients-arent-spreading-new-infections-who... 

jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

This was reported by WHO a week ago - and it has been retracted.  Try to keep up......

Jen

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

@jennys_mn wrote:

This was reported by WHO a week ago - and it has been retracted.  Try to keep up......

Jen

False, what the walk back said:

“Some estimates of around 40 percent of transmission may be due to asymptomatic [cases], but those are from models. So I didn’t include that in my answer yesterday but wanted to make sure that I made that clear,” Maria Van Kerkhove, a WHO epidemiologist and technical lead on the pandemic, said during a news conference Tuesday.

Think Karen,  "but those are from models"

jennys_mn
Veteran Advisor

No - you think unwiseone.....   

Multiple doctors and agencies have come out condemning the WHO report.

Tell you what - you do what you want.  Go to your Trump rally - Hoot and Holler until you can't - nothing is more fun than a Trump rally right?

And I'll be here - to say< "I told you so.....", you can count on that.  Believe what you want - it's what you guys do.  Trump is a great world leader, and worth dying for.

You just might get your chance to prove that.....

Jen