cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samnospam
Advisor

moral virture question

In the past it was seen as a virtue to not ask for or accept charitable help when a person might need it, being to proud to beg.  Is that still true?  

25 Replies
r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: moral virture question

There was a story this morning on the local news where the EBT cards quit working and showed no balances. Wal-Mart was accepting them anyway. The patrons completely emptied the shelves taking everything in the grocery side........all because they could get it for free.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Only among the moral "personal responsibility" rightwingers!
Samnospam
Advisor

That's something akin to looting I guess, but doesn't exactly answer the question.

Another moral virtue question.  Some people feel that treating morally with an immoral person is itself immoral.  Suppose for instance a person lobbys the government for a portion of your time and labor to be used at their discreation, should that person be treated with morally or should every attempt be made to rob that person blind at every opportunity?  To steal back what that person steals from you.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Wal Mart's problem. Which store was that?
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

All I find are stories about sad, angry, hungry people leaving carts full of food, putting food back,etc because they couldn't pay for it. No where didI find where even one Walmart accepted them anyway. They might have given some people food but they couldn't "accept" the cards because the electronic system was down and they wouldn't read.
hardnox604008
Advisor

I know a family that had accumulated a lot of land by the end of the 70s- mostly at pre-bubble levels, and inititially had chosen not to participate in government programs because they were worried about their reputation.

They did, however, maintain their bases and when programs changed to become the only game in town, made the trip to the ASCS office.

They are probably better liked and more respected than some of the other very large landowning farm families aorund although it is probably more about the fact they pretty much just farm their land and don't get into most rent bidding wars.

They're also popular with othre farmers because they're getting on in years and don't have a likely family successor meaning that there is no shortage of people ready to lick their boots. In fact the one who I know well likes to joke about all the guys who take great pains to suck up to him.

Samnospam
Advisor

I think your answer is that it is still viewed as a virtue?   

anyway, its an archaic virtue.  I was trying to think of a previous law that required you accept charity, before ocare, but couldn't.  I guess you could pay the tax and still not take charity.  might be cheaper and easier on the pride. 

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Yes it is. Some folks would rather starve than be seen at a food pantry. Pride and ignorance make a bizarre recipe for disaster. It's the judgemental public that make them feel that way. A loss of self respect and acknowleging personal failure is sour medicine to swallow.

Samnospam
Advisor

Did you know Don, that many societies in the past had no thing such as a police force.  The mores of such a society were enforced by ostracism.     Become a person of I'll repute and no one would have anything to do with you.