cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: somebody else will have to answer

Dumb question, but don't we have to be 'high bidder' on the oil we import now?

Wouldn't it be a bit easier to get the bid, if the oil started out on US territory, instead of an ocean away?

k-289
Senior Advisor

Re: obalmo costs america an ally

Why would they ship tar sands to a deep water port if they wern't going to  "" EXPORT"" it ---  Canada's  west coast wants nothing to do with it the stuff and the routeing thru the canadian rockies would be a logistic nightmare---as far as jobs the offical  "manhours" to complete the project would be  6 million---   40 hours a week X  52 weeks  X  2900 workers --- 2900 far cry from 10,000 jobs ---Our trickle down president and congress in the 80"s decided we don't need railroads and build them back now for several million per mile but it would create jobs especially for me Smiley Very Happy

GreaTOne_65
Senior Contributor

Do you actually think, the US can compete with China? Have you forgotten the amount of money, Dubya borrowed from them to finance his wars? We can buy ME oil cheaper.

hobbyfarm2145365
Senior Contributor

Ba, are you aware that keystone 1 pipeline had 12 leaks in first year of operation.   Have your checked into who will be providing the pipe for this pipeline?   I believe trandacanada has a major leak in Mich that is still not cleaned up.   Ask your self who is benefting from is pipeline US or Canada?   Maybe we should have a clause in the permit that Canada will be respondisable for all costs of any possible leaks.   Lots of question and  answered need to be asked about this.  Looks to me like its more about policial posturing than common sense. 

hobbyfarm2145365
Senior Contributor

Transcanada doen't even use the 20,000 figure more like 3500/6000 temp jobs. only people cantor and boehner use them  Only 11% of the jobs on keystone 1 were  provided by SD poeple and they were manual labor and temp.    Keystone 1 has has 12 leaks in the first year.  

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Hey Hobbyfarm, this is about political posturing on the side of Obama, he is trying to shore up his liberal base.  As I`ve said before there are liberals that have fallen for the peak oil theory and are angry that it is taking us so long to run out of oil.  They believe in the idea of "ugly American" and they think that it`s time for us to pay for our "sins" through a lower standard of living...high priced oil will do that.   When it`s reported that Keystone 1, had 12 spills we don`t know what`s meant by that, is it a cup of oil? They don`t quanitify the magnitude of these "spills", I do know after taking the pesticide applicator tests of the impractical requirements of their definition of a reportable spill.  As I understand the State Department studied Keystone XL for 3 years and green lighted it, all the "Red States" that the pipeline goes through have greenlighted it(Oh I know Repub Neb. Governor wanted more study..C.Y.A.).  Also they could built the pipeline right now next to the other 25,000 miles of pipeline over the Ogallala and there ain`t a danged thing Obama could do about it, he just needed to sign off on the oil coming in from Canada(Canada could possibly truck oil across the border and dump it in the pipeline on the US side?).   I have no problem with the pipeline studied and meeting environmental regs and being approved by states. But that isn`t the issue. If that truly was Obama`s beef with the project, he should`ve said"I want this pipeline in! It means 20,000 high paying jobs! It`s just that I need 3 environmental concerns addressed, then I`ll be Happy to sign, because I love this country and want everyone to be richer and peak oil is 50 years down the road" see would that be so hard? Trans-Canada would be responible for spills and everyone touching the pipeline, you know how lawyers are.  Look at how BP`s pockets were raided after their deal. 

Papa Wheelie
Senior Contributor

A train tip from KC to St Louis is a couple of hours. Unless a coal train is running through then it may be 8-10 hours.

With all the pipelines running through the country their safety record has been pretty good. Had one running through my Berks County PA property. It is on a fault line too.

But the route chosen for this particular pipeline was laid out (speculative) over some very fragile ecocsystems because the company felt they could ram it through without any opposition. Keystone has found problems with substandard pipe throughout the problem. They have no idea how much of the line is compromised because of bad materials.

Nebraskans rallied to oppose the line. The quote below sums it up pretty well.

"Keystone pipeline...from Canada to a Gulf seaport... SEAport. SeaPORT. Think about that for five minutes. SEAPORT. Oil Sand. Across the Missouri, Loups, Platte, and Republican Rivers. 500 one-week jobs. Our water in jeopardy forever. To carry CANADIAN oil. To a SEAPORT. This is only a test. To see how cosmically stupid we actually are."

hobbyfarm2145365
Senior Contributor

Williams pipe line near SF,SD has had aleast 3 major leaks plus the tank farm leak.  Had to replace a school bvecause  damage.  One north nd it was locals  reported it fuel ws above ground.   Must a poor leak detectors.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Guess that union label doesn't mean much after all.

hobbyfarm2145365
Senior Contributor

BA, you didn't respond to any points like steel qaulity and the co's procducing the steel ?    I did some digging and found 3 companies.  (  I )a Russia owned  Canadian co, (2) a India co with some known qaulity problems, (3 ) I believe was another Canada co who is under investigation for shotty steel.   This seems to be no concern to you just play political BS.   as far as 20,000 jobs that quite right. Trands Canada says 4000/6000 temp jobs most manual labor and poor pay.  the 20k jobs comes from cantor and boehner and thats just posturing for political reasons. Wouldn't be great if politcians toold the truth.   To end I don't give a damx if red or blue states  OK'ed it they just see short trem  income and don't give damx about leaks,   You point out all pipe lines over Ogallala pretty good chance they were put in using US produced matterial .   I have a real problem with qaulity of foreign made junk .   Also the leak detector  according to T?Canada permit will allow 350,000 gallons per day before detection. and could take up 90 days.  In SD the 12 leaks were small valvie leaks does that go to quality  or shotty workmanship.  So many things come to mind like the jobs thing. on Keystone 1 SD provided only 11% of jobs and mostly short term temp '      Connect your reps and ask they about the questioned I reaised.   .One more thing how does canada able to use immient domain  to gain acsess to crossing privatly own property. so much for property rights   God this to long