Did you mean: 
ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re: what is wrong with the sign about service

do you leave every business with it ---GOTCHA

ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re: too simple

set the fees at a profit margin with combining several parks ---next question and i work for a living unlike gov people who sit or lean on shovels --i have sevarl customers who are on the gov dole and boast of good pay and ZERO work

ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re: once again

you have shown your iq lower than mine --with a dumb reply but with obalmo it was all you had--but wev tolfd you so --next dummy up or do you want another shot

man of steel
Senior Contributor

Re: private money ALWAYS does better

Oh I have no problem being taxed to make sure things like Mt Rushmore stay intact. But I don't believe I should have to pay for a fancy campground with trailer hookups and state of the art conference centers. I believe those should be a use fee. If the average trailer hookup uses 3 dollars a day electric, I don't think the taxpayer should fund any of that.

No shame in that at all

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Re: too simple

I know I will never change your opinion Ollie. Even if you knew I was right about something...anything...you never would admit it here or agree with me unless it was a "sly" type of agreement like you always end with - "Glad you agree with me."

You are who you are. Meanwhile, reality exists. You profess that all people are bad more or less just because they work for a certain employer. Be that way. See where it gets you in the end when the sun goes down and people are sleeping in their beds and thinking about God above and his will. I guarantee you most those people you hate so much are thinking about work and what they will do the next day as you plot on how you can detest them.

Most people like and respect Park Rangers, park maintenance and Park staff. I suppose you have to hate them all from the guy who scrubs the feces off the toilets to the Superintendent who is responsible for all operations in a given park. Your assessment is they are all bad, worthless and not effective at any time, in any way, and never will be worth a spit on a sidewalk. Keep on with that my friend, keep on.

Most know better. I feel sorry for you. Park people are good people for the most part because for every job, there a hundred other people that would like to have their job. I've fired a few loosers, but I have hired a lot more people that are super park employees.

man of steel
Senior Contributor

Oh and PS Knapper

Used to be a time in this country that shame was felt when one couldn't pay their own way. You want me to feel shame because I'm tired of being forced to pay for others???

ollie2655
Senior Contributor

Re: okay here goes

an employee of mine moved and i help get him a job at a park --when he came back he told me he was used to working and every time he  did they told him to slow down --his job required him to work no more than 4 hours out of 8 --they infered to him it was the gov way --so name  me a group of people any where sorrier than gov employees --because i have never seen them --just had an incidence here where a limb fell on a state rd --it could have been moved in a  wheel barrow --they sent 5 trucks and 10 employees---- that is the gov way

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Re: Oh and PS Knapper

"You want me to feel shame because I'm tired of being forced to pay for others???"

No, the shame has nothing whatsoever to do with "being forced to pay for others." It is about support of natural and cultural heritage and if it could be done without tax money, that would be great. If being forced to pay for others were my issue, why stop your disgruntle feelings with National Parks, battlefields, monuments? You should feel that way about all taxes, government services and organizations - heck, government in general. You are forced to pay for others bukoo with any government service, organization or program. For instance, I don't have children in school, yet I have to pay property taxes for the operation of schools. I guess I believe schools are good and being "forced to pay" isn't really a bad thing.

However, I did read your response where you oppose campground renovations and conference centers specifically rather than the whole idea of a park. You did imply that they are free when you said " I believe those should be a use fee," and they certainly are not free and there is a use fee just as there is an entry fee for most all National Parks. Some National Monuments, battlefields and other lesser properties do not have an entrance fee, but all that have camping and other guest services do indeed charge for them, often letting a concessionaire operate it. For instance, in National Parks gift shops, all that can be sold are books. If you want a souvenir, you have to go to a concession gift shop. The parks are not allowed to compete with the private sector. 

Yellowstone charges $25 entrance fee per vehicle and you even have to pay $12 if you walk in on foot. As far as camping goes, the campgrounds are operated by Xanterra Parks & Resorts - I'm not sure how much they cost or the profit sharing arrangement. Much of the services at parks like that are farmed out - the gift shops and restaurants for example. Places like Carlsbad Caverns don't have camping - all of it besides the backcountry is operated by private industry outside the park. There is an admission fee to the cave however. However at El Morrow National Monument, it was determined that it was no longer feasible to collect fees. Bottom line - there is no uniform policy across all National Park Service operated parks & monuments, etc.

hobbyfarm2145365
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the info Knapper,You pointed out the  diference is the informed and the uniformed.

Snooky1953
Senior Contributor

The National Parks belong to America and the American people. Does that not include you? If you don't visit them and enjoy them with your children and teach them to respect the natural resources of our great nation, then shame on you and enjoy your problem but you are still going to pay taxes to support them.