cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Senior Contributor

Re: obamos latest gun take away plan

If you don`t like guns Gough, that`s your perogative and that`s cool, however this more than likely won`t resonate with you.  When politicians say they "won`t touch your guns" it needs defining. In Soviet Russia they allowed farmers to keep a single shot, shotgun, techincally, a politician could be "pro-gun" while favoring a Soviet style of gun ownership.  After the Tucson tragedy the anti-gunners are softening up the masses with their rhetoric. Obama will try very little in this first term, in a second term Dems will move for "gun reform", moving deliberately incrimentally starting with magazine limits, mandatory gun registration and other "feel good" ineffective measures.  All culminating with a President Hillary bringing us to a Soviet syle of gun ownership in 2019. As stated in the begining, this probably won`t be any skin off your nose.  

ollie2655
Senior Contributor

i bet you and surebutt know a lot about carpets dont you --did you 2 get HOOKED UP --aint this fun but i dont know what hwere means---is it another display of your lack of IQ --i love this game

gough whitlam
Advisor

Deere - it is not about that although the sooner the amount of guns is reduced the better.  It is about the culture of the US that life cannot go on without owning an arsenal of weapons.  Why would any person need at least 6 and most of the time more guns?  Is it an extension of their ego or a remnant of the wild west days.  I don't know how many you have got but I'll bet you would protect your right to have them with your life. That is what I mean. You wouldn't buy a new combine if the government said they were going to ban them so why would weapon sales increase because of the Tucson thing. 

There is far too many guns in your society for no valid reason.  Other than to protect yourselves from yourselves. There is and has never has been any government who threatened to turn the US into a communist state and never has a tribe of gun toting looneys had any success overthrowing any government. The whole thing is egotitstical because of the lack of education about how the government use it as a "weapon" around election time.  Your country can look forward to a plethora of mass killings while ever every looney has guns.  If that is what you want, give them more guns and the end will come sooner.

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

Gough, gun ownership is not that simple. There are indeed some valid and legitimate reasons to own firearms. My father collected firearms of historic significance and those which he thought he would dlike for certain types of hunting. Did he have "too many?" Probably but then does a collector of antique microphones have "too many?" Probably, again. Dad collected the basic rifles of WWI: the infield models. He collected a rifle that represented the Old West - a Winchester lever action and a six-shooter pistol. He kept a shotgun that his father owned. He had a pistol his Uncle gave him. Both of these are now collector items and valuable. He bought a nice shotgun to hunt turkey. This is getting to be a long list and you could certainly make a case that he had "too many guns." He certainly didn't have a use for all of them, but I think with people like him, it wouldn't make any difference in society if he had one or a hundred. You need to look at those elements of society where gun ownership is a problem, but who are these people and how does N. American society identify these people and do something that will make a difference?

It is a very difficult question. Do we infringe on people's rights and take weapons away? Do we pass legislation that de-militarizes private ownership? Do we come down harder on people who commit firearms related crimes? I am not sure any of those things would work alone as a solution. We would still leave the criminals, thugs and lone psychopaths with firearms though they might possibly be harder to acquire.

I'm not going to get on a high horse and start quoting the Constitution and spout out NRA tag lines like a mindless parrot. One liners and quips won't solve this problem. We are used to a lot of liberties in America and despite what some people thing, we have a hell of a lot of them. One liberty that we take over here way, way to often is to lack a social conscience. We Americans too often don't give a flip about our neighbor and we don't love our neighbor. Most of us call ourselves Christians, yet ignore Gods central teaching of loving our neighbor as we love ourselves. My dad loved people and he hurt no one though he had lots of guns. Those that are not capable of this are quite capable of grabbing a rifle and shooting a politician and their supporters. They are capable of breaking into someone's house and shooting someone wile robbing them. They are capable of armed robbery. They are capable of picking off school children from the nearby woods. They are capable of boasting that they will shoot people who trespass on their land. They are capable of not caring about anyone but their own whims.

The ills of Americans can not be cured by taking firearms away. They can only be cured by improving society and people's attitudes towards each other. I bet that my message of peace will be ripped apart by others here and that is our problem. We simply do not care enough about each other in this country.

BA Deere
Senior Contributor

Hey Knapper, pretty good post! The thing with `feel good` restrictions are they don`t work, let`s say the Tucson shooter only had 10 rd clips, a proficent shooter could hold off a crowd for an hour by rapidly changing clips. Let`s say Loughner had a "Soviet approved" single shot shotgun, if he was proficient, after a little hacksaw work he could have done more damge than the terrible amount that he did. From what I heard Loughner did enough damage to make the news and he basically allowed himself to be tackled and held down quitely on the ground. Had he been a gone bad Navy Seal sad to say, but everyone in that crowd would be gone. In small towns around here everyone has a gun, I feel very safe, because they are good people. We need to really put things in perspective the "Loughners" in this country are literally less than one in a million.  We are a country of 300 million, on America`s worst day there isn`t even 30 Loughners in the whole country. The question then becomes: why should the 299,999,970 rest of us have our rights taken away?

ollie2655
Senior Contributor

both GREAT posts

gough whitlam
Advisor

I know all that and your excuses for having guns are admirable but in the end, there are too many guns over there.  Sensible people can handle them but with respect, there are not that many of them over there.  Part of that problem is they have their guns to rely on when things go wrong.  Any high ranking official in the government will agree with me but guns are used in the election process.  People believe they need them for protection.  Your dad bought one for turkey hunting, some one bought one for snakes, another for bears, etc.  None of those are, to me, justifiable. We have our own feral animal problems here and very few carry guns to deal with it.   I cannot agree with your ideas of justification and that is not to say your views represent all on here.  There are some nutters on here would gladly shoot me if given the chance. If the culture and access taken away with govenment legislation, I might stand a chance of survival. Have a great day. mate.

gough whitlam
Advisor

Deere - you have exactly the culture which I have been refering to. Everyone else in the world can see it but the 299,999,970 americans.  Anyway, happy shooting and next time some nutter springs a leak, think of what I said.  Have a good day.