cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

oh yea

13000 more mraps for the police, citizens beware.

Feb. 26 (Bloomberg) — The U.S. Army is giving away 13,000 armored trucks, worth about $500,000 each. The 20-ton MRAPs, or Mine-Resistant Ambush-Protected trucks, were built specifically to save U.S. soldiers from roadside bombs in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Now the trucks are patrolling U.S. city streets. U.S. law enforcement agencies have received the lion’s share of this high-powered military surplus. (Source: Bloomberg
Read more at http://investmentwatchblog.com/army-gives-out-500000-armored-trucks-for-free-the-trucks-are-patrolli...

12 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: oh yea

I question the accuracy of the story. 13,000 is 260 for every state, I have yet to see one. And even if it is true, keeps them in shape in case Putin comes calling.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Not sure of the numbers but the town we have a small home in on the Ohio River has one.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Sheriff joe has had one or something similar with a .50 cal mounted on top for several years! I thought you or maybe it was someone else who said yesterday that Russia was NOT a threat??
Highlighted
Advisor

The reigning anti-spam, DHS screening system of the moment repeatedly blocked me when I triend to post a piece on Ukranian demonstrators taking down an armored personnel carrier.

Anyway, ever since I read Michener's A Bridge at Andau about the 1956 Hungarian revolt I've been captivated by the sort of courage it takes to run under the guns of a T-34 and jam a pipe in the treads, then take it out with (a device filled with the stuff you get at the local convenience store pump placed in a beverage container) so used at to make up some Fried Ivan.

the Hungarians won, sort of. At least the Soviets pulled out and signed a cease fire long enough to get reinforcements and put them back under the boot for 25 years.

Anyway, the T-34 had some vulnerabilities that were soon eliminated in future models. The vehicles to which the article refers, few if any.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

3020 had a link to what O said back in 2012 to Romney where O said it to R.\

Can't seem to link it up.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I read an article on it that I can't find now.   It seems that MOST of the 13,000 viechles (that US taxpayers paid millions of dollars apiece for) will be given away to foreign countries (as in for FREE).  

Instead of giving them away (I wouldn't be surprised if the US taxpayers even paid for 'free' delivery), why not salvage them?
Each one of them has an engine, drivetrain, etc, etc, in them that would be usable by someone.   Another way that taxpayer dollars are leaking out the sieve.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I`m not taking away from the seriousness about the militarization of the cops.  But I wonder what kind of motors them trucks got, the old 903 Cummins?  or a 6.7lL Cummins 4 tier motor that has to be run wide open for 10 miles to "regenerate".  Maybe the EPA will shut `em down  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I belive that the military, and some branches of government are exempt from certain pollution laws.  

For example, the forestry service has run viechles with the catalysts removed.  

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

@schnurrbart wrote:
Sheriff joe has had one or something similar with a .50 cal mounted on top for several years! I thought you or maybe it was someone else who said yesterday that Russia was NOT a threat??

That was Barack Obama in a debate with Mitt Romney.