Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

one of bruces favorite shows

28 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: one of bruces favorite shows

Time zone got you out of bed before me am. I saw this late  last night after having recorded it yesterday afternoon and was going to paste it up here right off this AM.

Thanks. It essentially substantiates everything I've presu,med and have said here since it/s become evident what was going on with the banking system.

And, of course, if this black man who lines up as a modestly liberal on social issues would have not committed what Dylan refers to as his "original sin" (not forcing the rot out of the system) he'd not have stayed in office long. Imperached... or worse... for a traitor, communist or race monger...take your pick.

To his credit, Susskind does say that he knew and that his immediate instincts were correct.

Highlighted
Advisor

Bull, both houses of congress in his pocket.
Highlighted
Advisor

Couldn't have gotten half of his party's half of the Senate on board with what it is that is being discussed by Ratigan and Susskind in this clip. Probably not a 3rd. I can just about name the 10 or dozen or so who might have gone along in my head. You are being coy, as you know that damned good and well also.

This happened nearly everywhere else in teh developed worls. Which national governmetns anywhere else "did the right thing". Iceland maybe, later on, and nobody seems interested in reproting onor talking about how that actually has worked out for them.

Highlighted
Advisor

You ignore the fact that he told his staff to do the reform and they ignored him. Not that he didn't do it because it was too hard. What does a boss do if the subordinates ignore orders? You're just putting forward an apologist's excuse.
Highlighted
Advisor

I watched it over a few times and am well aware of everything that is in it, including the fact that Suskind says what you say. And FWIW that could be seen as to the President's credit. For as little, obviously, as it took.

Implementation would have been impossible and would have created a nuke reaction in Congress, the banking and business community and with the ill-informed and naive public that for all practical purposes had no real reason, as it went from day to day, to know what was going on or understand what they would even be talking about as the resolution, break up and prosecution etc went forward. Under Obama, Hillary or McCain for that matter. The conditions on the ground were as they were as of the middle of Sept,  2 months before the election and 5 months before the innaugaration. Bush and that same Congress did the TARP thing which more or less voided any possiblityof anything counter to it implemented in 2009 even being considered.

I wish he could have pulled it off. Impressed that he had at least one advisor or a handful maybe who advised him to do so, or at least counseld him on the notion that Geithner could be toxic. But to think he could have broken down a busted system and then designed and developed a new working one by executive order or (pun intended) fiat isdisingenious at best.

You seem to be taking the apologist role...saying that he did, indeed, "tell his staff". The staff has no power. That lies in Congress. Congress would have barred the doors if they knew he was coming over from Pa. Ave. with the proposal that is being discussed here.

There are libertarians...and progressives...in Congress and in the rest of public sphere who surely would have tried harder. But we don't elect them to anything as big as President. A few slip into Congress from remote places. Some others get jobs, and then are made irrelevant.

The huge lesson that is there for all to see  can be found in the now legendary saga of  Brooksley Borne and her superiors at the Treaury Dept and their carnal relationship with the Fed and the major banks early on in the Clinton Administration. Throw that on top of 30 years of reckless supply side economic policy  and grossly tilted trade policies and agreements and it all become clearer. A proper fix in the spring or 2009 was a non-starter.  Tom Jefferson, Teddy Roosevelt, Winson Churchill, Ghandi or Jesus Christ couldn't have corraled a horse this far out of the barn. Only thing left to determine was the date and time of reckoning, and we've very likely reached it.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Agree Sam. Obama made the mistake in thinking those bankster advisors were working for him. They might be drawing a government check but that doesn't indicate who they are working for.

Holder is a joke in that he has done nothing of significance since he got the AG job.

Thanks for posting the link. I don't always catch Ratigan as he is absent from the show too much

Highlighted
Advisor

Somehow I suspect should he have an R after his name that "it was just too hard" would not be a valid excuse. Nothing worth doing is easy.
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

I agree with you as well that it would have been virtually impossible to get anything of substance done through the congress. However a few well placed indictments might have got the ball rolling and obviously the Justice department is AWOL.

Highlighted
Advisor

More

FYI...added on to if you'd read it right off.