cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: one of those posts for which I'll never get a left wing answer

Sociallists deserve to have their own country.

Just was talking to a realtor last night and he sells some land on the MN/IA border and says you would not believe what Iowa farmers say when they hear that MN primeland is taxed at $60 per acre to support the new school bldgs propping up all over.

Iowa land is capped at about $25 per acre , right?

Fairness would have all the drs, lawyers, school teachers, etc. in MN with million dollar portfolios to ante up an equal amount. to put their money where their mouths are.

Really illustrates the saying about democracy being two wolves and a lamb debating what to have for dinner.

Senior Contributor

do you think those people don't pay property tax ? or they pay a lesser rate than farmland ? It's been my experience that farmland is always taxed at a lower rate than residential property. The only way to not pay property tax is to rent, not own.

i sold a 3.5 acre wooded site to a couple a few years back. They built their dream home on it, 6 bath, 4500 sq ft, 3 car garage, best of everything.  their yearly property tax bill is just north of $20,ooo.

Senior Contributor

You need to compare the real estate tax in your state comparing the tax on one prime 80 to the tax on a $200,000 home in an urban area.

In my case my home carries an annual tax burden of $2200 in comparison to a prime 80 in Iowa valued at $800,000. The tax rate on both are comparable and one is worth 4 times more and is income generating property. Which one is overtaxed?

BTW those upper scale homes of $500K or $600k are paying $6K to $7K in realestate taxes. That is like paying $600 per month for a home that is bought and paid for.

Now I agree that real estate taxes is a poor way to fund government as it does not reflect ability to pay. It would be far better to fund state and local government based on income or ability to pay.

Senior Contributor

Quite a comment , drs, lawyers school teachers with million dollar portfolios should ante up.   Tell me what does your portfolios contain  million doller farm land you inherited, million dollarfull  machines sheds.    Those people you despise don't get taxpayer cash depoisited in bank accts for bring farmers under the farm "programs"  THey don't get the taxpayerr provided  "asset" protecingt crop ins.   Today govt farmers are a long ways from a lamb.more like wolves feeding on taxpayers. 

if land is capped a 25.00 d ollar acre in Iowa  why isnt commerila &l private home not capped also?    

can't believe school teachers , farmers spent more at big boys toy stores  for things they don.t need than what teachers eare in a year

For a christain man you sure  have a lot of hatred for fellow countrymen