cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardnox
Advisor

political correctness

http://www.salon.com/2013/03/16/the_south_still_lies_about_the_civil_war/

"Cobb recounts how in 1911, for instance, University of Florida history professor Enoch Banks wrote an essay for the New York Independent suggesting that slavery was the cause of secession; Banks was forced by the ensuing public outcry to resign. Perhaps Banks should have seen that coming: seven years earlier, William E. Dodd, a history professor at Virginia’s Randolph-Macon College, had complained that to merely suggest the confederacy might not have been a noble enterprise led by lofty-minded statesmen “is to invite not only criticism but enforced resignation.”

Brings back fond memories of many a day spent here perusing fascinating efforts at historical revisionism.

BTW, Dodd later became the US ambassador to Berlin and the subject of In the Garden of Beasts, which I've referenced.

3 Replies
Samnospam
Advisor

Re: political correctness

you can answer the question rather (what was the civil war about) by answering a simple question.  suppose there had been a popular referendum and held it strictly in the north, 'do you wish to go to war, to have your sons possibly die, to free the slaves of the south?'.    you and I both know the answer would be no.   probably a resounding no.

hardnox
Advisor

Yes, but if you'd asked the correct question you would have gotten a different answer.

That is, "do you want all the land to be farmed by oligarchs and slaves and/or do you want the value of your labor to be equal to that of a slave?"

then the anser is yes, and take my daughters too.

Samnospam
Advisor

except mine was a honest question and is what happened. slavery was never going to spread north, but well you did get the oligarchs anyway.