Senior Contributor

poll, should free speech be curtailed

12 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: poll, should free speech be curtailed

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but, Words never harm

Contributor

interesting poll and I would agree of course.

However, I,ve listened to Rush and Glenn Beck.

I have listened to the MSNBC evening line up and It's amazing how each side spins a common story to fit their audience. I fear that we, the American public have been a pawn for both sides as they continue the 'us vs. them' attitude. Today we're more polarized than ever and debate and discussion is fine but not when it's laced with deceit.

Senior Contributor

@rightasrain wrote:

interesting poll and I would agree of course.

However, I,ve listened to Rush and Glenn Beck.

I have listened to the MSNBC evening line up and It's amazing how each side spins a common story to fit their audience. I fear that we, the American public have been a pawn for both sides as they continue the 'us vs. them' attitude. Today we're more polarized than ever and debate and discussion is fine but not when it's laced with deceit.

I don't fear anything. I view the public as much smarter than you give them credit for.

Senior Contributor

Every once in a while somebody says something funny

"Today we're more polarized than ever"

Probably forgot the Civil War and the Revolutionary War.

Senior Advisor

You must think the majority agrees with you. That being the case, that doesn't confirm the intelligence of the american people.

Veteran Advisor

Re: You Might Have a Valid Point....

@kraft-t wrote:

You must think the majority agrees with you. That being the case, that doesn't confirm the intelligence of the american people.

You might have a valid point...., quite a few those of lessor intelligence people did vote for the community activist for president of this country.

I do think that they are getting smarter as of the last year or so.Smiley Very Happy

Veteran Advisor

SNIP:

For as long as I can remember, I have heard conservatives blaming everything that is wrong in the universe, from violent crime to declining test scores to teen pregnancy to rude children to declining patriotism to probably athlete's foot  . . . upon Dr. Spock, Hollywood liberals, the abolition of prayer in school, Bill Clinton, the "liberal 1960s," the teaching of evolution — in other words, upon symbols, rhetoric, cultural norms, and the values expressed by political and media leaders. Yet from the moment when someone gets a gun in their hands, apparently, society ceases to have any influence whatsoever on the outcome and individual responsibility takes hold 100%. Something is driving the tripling of death threats against congressmen (and the concomitant rise in threats against Federal judges and other villains of the right, from Forest Service rangers to climate scientists) and it isn't the sunspot cycle.

http://budiansky.blogspot.com/2011/01/not-us-cont.html

Veteran Advisor

@bruce MN wrote:

SNIP:

For as long as I can remember, I have heard conservatives blaming everything that is wrong in the universe, from violent crime to declining test scores to teen pregnancy to rude children to declining patriotism to probably athlete's foot  . . . upon Dr. Spock, Hollywood liberals, the abolition of prayer in school, Bill Clinton, the "liberal 1960s," the teaching of evolution — in other words, upon symbols, rhetoric, cultural norms, and the values expressed by political and media leaders. Yet from the moment when someone gets a gun in their hands, apparently, society ceases to have any influence whatsoever on the outcome and individual responsibility takes hold 100%. Something is driving the tripling of death threats against congressmen (and the concomitant rise in threats against Federal judges and other villains of the right, from Forest Service rangers to climate scientists) and it isn't the sunspot cycle.

http://budiansky.blogspot.com/2011/01/not-us-cont.html

Almost all revolutions have their dark sides while it is taking place.

The historical accounts of it, always resides with the victors being the authors.

Whether anyone wants to admit it, or deny it.... there is an ongoing culture war that will be the determining factor of how our nation will find its place in the future.  Many factors will determine the outcome.... mostly the mortality of the "baby boomer hippy" segment will play into the near future.

Senior Contributor

Many factors will determine the outcome.... mostly the mortality of the "baby boomer hippy" segment will play into the near future.

My, god, Craig! You really are off your rocker! How long are you willing to wait? The "baby boomers" are going to be around for the next 20 years, are you really sure you will be?