cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Contributor

possible explanation

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/aug/07/monsanto-fusion-center-journalists-roundup-neil-you...

Probably more than rural legend that Monsanto had paid snitches on retainer around farm neighborhoods to keep an eye out for who might be brownbagging.

The above is probably a decent explanation of the motives of some of the earnest posters who toil away in defense of The Blob- although AGW denialism remains where the big money is.

Gunz Inc. too.

6 Replies
Veteran Contributor

Re: possible explanation

Sorta fascinating that such a tiny industry- guns- could exert so much influence.

But if you look at the present business structure it makes a bit more sense- the "industry" is now mostly owned by private equity groups that have structured it into a form that avoids much potential contagion of financial liability should the legal climate turn against them (they learned from Big Tobacco's unfortunate experience) It also turned out to be handy when sales collapsed after Dennison's surprise victory and they could run various units through bankruptcy to shed debts (which had been loaded on for acquisition- the basic old Mafia arson trick).

Veteran Contributor

Of course the answer is that the NRA/Gunz Inc. has made itself essential to the larger agenda.

Honored Advisor

I`m no fan of the company formerly known as "Monsanto" or RJ Reynolds. Who is so damned dumb that you don`t know spraying pesticides and smoking ....and eating pork I might add ain`t good for you????   And then they sue the industry and some win the lottery. 

I know every since I was old enough to paid attention it was written right on the pack of cigarettes "The Surgeon General determined smoking can cause cancer'.  And the damned spray they have 14 pages of safety crap about wearing googles and gloves and disposable coveralls ...well who the hell does that?  You mix it up and spray and coffee shops are full of old farmers that`ve done just that, some get cancer, some don`t. 

Veteran Contributor

The point is that Tobacco showed the way in creating a fake science "experts disagree" narrative and then internal documents revealed that they absolutely knew the truth.

Big Fossil Fuel played from the exact same book (using many of the same gunslingers) while perpetuating History's Greatest Hoax.

Big Ag, Meat now very much dues paying members of the The same Blob.

While I'll maintain that it didn't have to be this way, farmers now hitched 100% to that wagon.

Senior Contributor

(The point is that Tobacco showed the way in creating a fake science "experts disagree" narrative and then internal documents revealed that they absolutely knew the truth.)

Tobacco proven to be bad for you and yet now smoking wacky tobacco good?  

Tobacco farmers bad, dope "farmers" good?  People that smoke cigarettes bad, people that smoke dope good?

Honored Advisor

Well, it`s funny the "real experts" won out that smoking is bad for you, yet there`s still a lot of smokers out there and what is a pack of cigarettes 6 bucks?  Let`s just be honest here, smoking makes you look cool...there`s no getting around it and to look cool in your 20s, there`s still plenty people that`ll roll the dice that the grim reaper won`t get them.   And you know, that`s their right.

But like we learned in Social Problems class, "for every problem you solve, you create at least one more".  And now there`s the Juul E-cig and kids can smoke unnoticed in class and get lethal doses of nicotine and put any damned thing in them like dope or bath salts or whatever.  Probably would`ve been much better off to just let everyone continue with their Lucky Strikes.