cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

quick poll

Is calling for the overthrow of the elected president by extrajudicial methods treason against the constitution?

21 Replies
cmilligan1958g
Senior Contributor

Re: quick poll

Without a doubt. Isn’t treason by coup d’etât punishable by capital death? 

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

I wasn't aware that there was an attempt on his life or articles of impeachment drawn up on the matter.

Articles were passed later, on a different matter.

Even the 25th Amendment is a Constitutional process and requires the assent of the named parties.

You're all nuts.

man of steel
Senior Contributor

yes

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Yes and to those that answer the poll, if you could travel back in time, would you kill "baby hitler"?   🙂

sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

@sdholloway56 wrote:

I wasn't aware that there was an attempt on his life or articles of impeachment drawn up on the matter.

Articles were passed later, on a different matter.

Even the 25th Amendment is a Constitutional process and requires the assent of the named parties.

You're all nuts.

Is calling for the overthrow of the elected president by extrajudicial methods treason against the constitution?

Note the words "calling" and "extrajudicial".  

It's an easy question.

I say yes it is.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

What was the attempt to remove him?

I'm not aware of any assassination attempts, and removal by either the 25th or Impeachment would require presentation of evidence to and deliberation by the relevant bodies.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

The constitution thingy sorta works.

Although without question, The Founders did not consider the possibility of a malignant narcissist sociopath in the Executive. Well, actually did, but assumed that the checks and balances would take care of it.

“… of those men who have overturned the liberties of republics, the greatest number have begun their career by paying an obsequious court to the people; commencing demagogues, and ending tyrants.” — Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers, #1

bruce MN
Advisor

McKinley did his darndest. But ran square into agrarian populism and de facto slavery held laborers.

Of corse, that one guy took matters into his own hands and mooted the argument.  Purported to be an anarchist, but God only knows what, had there been the internet then, he’d have been made out to be. Surely an “inside job” would have Q polled highly.

Short of that is we got TR because his very mild brand of early progressivism was what the people wanted.

Maybe need to save that space on Rushmore for whomever succeeds Biden in 24.  Joe probably turns out more like Hoover than anybody, cautioning  his Congress on doing too much. Checking in with “his bankers”. Holding on to neoliberalism like it was the Crown Jewels or the Nuke codes.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Well, it has pointed out that Biden always tacks to the center of the Democratic Party. In his early days when old fashioned liberalism reigned, he was there. When neoliberalism came to the fore, likewise.

The party is unquestionably more liberal now than 1990's-2016. I don't expect he'll lead, but he may follow a little.

Anything radical, no, fergeddaboutit. A prospective small Senate majority with 5-6 more conservative members will hold veto power on any of that stuff. And that's the best case.

That's why Crazy Bernie never worried me. It isn't like we're electing somebody to be dictator. Oh wait.....

BTW, SCOTUS ought to be weighing that consideration in the current case, unless there are other plans that I'm not privvy to. Some of our crew might be.