cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BA Deere
Honored Advisor

"5 Planks that Millennials should fight for"

This from the Rolling Stone  

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/five-economic-reforms-millennials-should-be-fighting-for-2...  

Heads up Farmers!  This fool wants to NATIONALIZE land!

And this is my main man, Peter Schiff`s take on the article.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V71XH-AZC0  

27 Replies
r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: "5 Planks that Millennials should fight for"

@BA Deere wrote:

This from the Rolling Stone  

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/five-economic-reforms-millennials-should-be-fighting-for-2...  

Heads up Farmers!  This fool wants to NATIONALIZE land!

And this is my main man, Peter Schiff`s take on the article.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1V71XH-AZC0  

The Rolling Stone guy is not what main stream progressive thinking is. When I read through it I just kept thinking this has to be a joke. No way this is real. I would still think that had New York not just elect de Blasio. This is the modern day dem party. I can't imagine what the next couple of campaigns are going to look like. Who would vote against a government guaranteed living wage? For not working?

That Peter Schiff, I never heard of the guy. Is he local or syndicated?

Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

Re: WOW, Karl Marx 101, communist and proud of it

"4. Make Everything Owned by Everybody

Hoarders blow. Take, for instance, the infamous one percent, whose ownership of the capital stock of this country leads to such horrific inequality. "Capital stock" refers to two things here: the buildings and equipment that workers use to produce goods and services, and the stocks and bonds that represent ownership over the former. The top 10 percent's ownership of the means of production is represented by the fact that they control 80 percent of all financial assets.

This detachment means that there's a way easier way to collectivize wealth ownership than having to stage uprisings that seize the actual airplanes and warehouses and whatnot: Just buy up their stocks and bonds. When the government does that, it's called a sovereign wealth fund. Think of it like a big investment fund that buys up assets from the private sector and pays dividends to all permanent U.S. residents in the form of a universal basic income. Alaska actually already has a fund like this in place. If it's good enough for Levi Johnston, it's good enough for you."
schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

He's a Wall Streeter! Not a wonder he is dearone's "main man"!
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

It almost has to be a joke.   How can anyone expect those positions to be a success?

for example, plank #1:

1. Guaranteed Work for Everybody

Unemployment blows. The easiest and most direct solution is for the government to guarantee that everyone who wants to contribute productively to society is able to earn a decent living in the public sector. There are millions of people who want to work, and there's tons of work that needs doing – it's a no-brainer. And this idea isn't as radical as it might sound: It's similar to what the federal Works Progress Administration made possible during Roosevelt's New Deal, and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. vocally supported a public-sector job guarantee in the 1960s.

A job guarantee that paid a living wage would anchor prices, drive up conditions for workers at megacorporations like Walmart and McDonald's, and target employment for the poor and long-term unemployed – people to whom conventional stimulus money rarely trickles all the way down. The program would automatically expand during private-sector downturns and contract during private-sector upswings, balancing out the business cycle and sending people from job to job, rather than job to unemployment, when times got tough.

Ok, I can at least see where they are going with this, when I first read this, I figured it might be a better idea, than just paying people to do nothing.   They are getting benefits, they just as well do a little work to earn it.   However, I realized how loopy the author was, when I read on to plank #2:

2. Social Security for All

But let's think even bigger. Because as much as unemployment blows, so do jobs. What if people didn't have to work to survive? Enter the jaw-droppingly simple idea of a universal basic income, in which the government would just add a sum sufficient for subsistence to everyone's bank account every month. A proposal along these lines has been gaining traction in Switzerland, and it's starting to get a lot of attention here, too.

We live in the age of 3D printers and self-replicating robots. Actual human workers are increasingly surplus to requirement – that's one major reason why we have such a big unemployment problem. A universal basic income would address this epidemic at the root and provide everyone, in the words of Duke professor Kathi Weeks, "time to cultivate new needs for pleasures, activities, senses, passions, affects, and socialities that exceed the options of working and saving, producing and accumulating."

HMMMMmmmm... I wonder what will happen to the productivity in the country, if everyone was given a 'universal' income, so they can do things like 'cultivate new needs for pleasures, activities (etc.)' instead of doing things like 'working and saving'.
Also, I wonder where the money will come, to pay for all this?
Samnospam
Advisor

eliminate the unneeded redundancy

Just send everyone a check for a zillion dollars, we all live like royalty.

bruce MN
Advisor

I don't think there is much to worry about as long as Wall Street owns Congress BA. 

Just somebody having fun writing and getting a stipend from a magazine.  Relax.

However, while there i noticed this, which is a very intersting bit on how the permanent government actually functions and how it ignores popular opiinion and even election results at it's pleasure.  Not all that different than the growing story over how upset an old insider (Gates) is over the elected leadership looking for advice and information elsewhere than where have been the standard places to go to for over 50 years

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/obamas-pot-problem-20121207

Samnospam
Advisor

No cred Bruce.  Pick and choose as you want but you've always shown your self a fan of government agencies smacking the states and the little people around.     Who do you think is going to administer all tyhre crap you want the federal government to do if not the permanent government?

Samnospam
Advisor

works4dhs
Contributor

These progressives are out of touch with reality.  The Democratic party is dominated by people who have spent their whole lives in classrooms and government offices and newsrooms and never actually worked a day in their lives (at least in the private sector).  And yes some Republicans also.

'Divide the Land'.   Sounds like some Castro wannabe.  Even the commies (Viet Nam, China) are recognizing that private enterprise / capitalism works better than state control.