cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: "Our Military"

I am not going to get in a lengthy discussion here as most here know the others positions. But I am a Viet Nam veteran and politics and early political correctness was already very much in evidence. We went into guard towers with no ammo. We at times could not return fire unless given an OK by the officer of the day. The North Vietnamese broke every treaty they signed or agreed to. The atrocities committed by the Viet Cong on the population were horrible. We had no objective, go out on patrol, take an area then vacate and in a week go back and take the same area again. The people were caught in the middle. War is terrible and you cannot be a little at war. Draft dodgers became heroes. The only way you can be in a war is to dehumanize the enemy, They become gooks or whatever. War is not a game. Forget most of those movies you saw filmed in California. War is filthy, bloody, screaming, diarrhea and terrifying. When you go to war have an objective and get the politicians the hell out of it. Sorry about the rant but sometimes I just get so upset with those who think war is a game with rules and everyone plays nice. Believe me the people who suffer the most in a war handled by politicians and no objective are the people caught in a never ending time of horror. I said enough, farmguy. 

Senior Contributor

About as straight of answer and your going to get. Some of you need to read this several times....

Veteran Advisor

Farmguy. Thank you for your service.  We have a local group that does a turkey hunt for vets.  We have a number that come from

your time period.  one of the helpers with the event was in about the same time as you, an recanted similar things.  He saw some

things to this day upsets him.

I also have a friend that was in the officers division durning one of the "actions" in the desert middle east a few years ago.  He also

knew some of the fellows that were in about the time you were.  He said that many of the "actions" we have now are "cleaner"

than then.

as the saying goes........was is hell, which I think you can agree.

I know on the one you were in, one of the fellows that we had out hunting, and visiting......he said if they would have just

let us do what we were trained to do, and sent there to do, it would have been done, and in somewhat short order.

Again, Thank you

Advisor

http://tvblogs.nationalgeographic.com/2014/03/25/brothers-in-war-the-charlie-company-and-the-war-in-...

That's a good Vietnam documentary from National Geographic that uses footage to follow the tour of a single unit in '67.

They were stationed in the Mekong Delta- generally involved in small skirmishes and took a few casualties, until a really big battle near the end of their tour. They won the battle, with lots of casualties, thanks in part to serious firepower from a gunboat that was able to come up the tributary at high tide.

It's punctuated with interview footage from some of the guys who were there. One guys said that it was deeply demoralizing that after they got back to base their battle wasn't covered in any of the home papers. The headline in every one was about a simultaneous nearby battle where a company of some 200 walked into a triangulated machine gun ambush and 100% were killed.

That's portrays Vietnam pretty well.

Veteran Advisor

Jessenic, we sure as the devil don't win any wars because of people like you!!!
Senior Contributor

Oh really . I suppose you need to be a super secret door checker like yourself.

Advisor

FWIW Brian we haven't been included in the win column on one since 1945.

Unless y or count Greneda

One thing that has become starkly clear over this year's decoration festivities is that we are going to run clear out of those winning participants right soon.

Was at a ballgame a couple of weeks ago where they honored a 94 yr old Navy vet who had been in Okinawa, Guam and a few other places.  Brought this to mind.  No idea why I remember it so clearly from being only 7 years old and living out in the sticks.  Maybe because he was from Minnesota.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Woolson

It's quite possible that it was an article in Weekly Reader that we got every week in school.  Might should bring that back, but what an internal struggle  it would be for Betsy DV to decide which fake news stories to run. I do recall that some of my pals who attended parochial schools Sid that they didn't get it, so maybe it would be summarily off for ol' Bets.

Advisor

Well, you could put in Panama, a bizarre and totally forgotten little episode other than Noriega dying the other day- which- point made- didn't involve any discussion of that messy stuff.

BTW, anybody got any contact info on tomtoolbag- former poster and special forces wounded veteran of that one?

Desert Storm- sorta like our very well executed moves on Kabul and Baghdad- an example of the stuff we're extremely good at tactically but have nothing to do with the larger strategic scheme.

But most certainly set the stage for future actions- it was great TV. Probably the best ever.

Gotta laugh every time I see Wolf Blitzer on CNN. That's where he sorta became a media celebrity. Nobody really knew how it was going to go down and there was a huge amount of blather going in about Saddam's awesome capabilities, SCUDS, diabolical chemical and biological weapons and all.

Still remember him poking his head out of a bunker to do a report and when the sirens were going off looking like he was going to 4%^& himself before he got the report done and got back in there.

"The scud stud"

Senior Advisor

Don't forget Libya. We came. We saw. He died.  And then Bill Clinton saved the muslims in bosnia. I'm sure they appreciated that. That's why they loved us so much back in those day.

Advisor

Somebody needs to step on your oxygen hose.