cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardnox
Advisor

secession

concerning the States' Rights blather.

There's really only one region in the US where it makes sense- the west coast states of CA, WA, and OR, and probably  HW just because it is always bright blue too.

It would be the 3rd biggest economy in the world and in a great positoin to trade with Asia.

I'd think that they would be tired of the net outflow of tax dollars to the red states.

BC also fits in there nicely. 

I would say that effectively no need for them to make much in the way of military expenditures. Who's going to attack them, Utah?

5 Replies
bruce MN
Advisor

Re: secession

It would be a hoot to see GOP run D.C. attempting to draft the sons of the Tea Party in Indiana and Kentucky to fight in a Civil War to keep Hollywood and Haight Asbury.
Samthehumble
Senior Contributor

Good luck to them I say. 

Packard27
Senior Contributor

Come on Hard,

We tried that 150 years ago and even though we got three new constitutional amendments (XIII,XIV, XV) out of the deal and were also able to finally end an embarrassing feature still embedded from the country's founding; it nevertheless did cause a bit of economic & physical discomfort for all concerned.

So in the words of that lettered and always great, if not late, civil rights leader Rodney King: "Can't we all just get along?"

Or how about Winston Churchill: "Jaw jaw is always better than war war."

Katzenjammer12
Senior Contributor

Sine the rest of the country would insist on a deep water Pacific port, the secession idea would probably go over fine as long as Seattle, Portland, San Franciisco and San Diego stayed with the continental power.  Let's see, what does that accomplish?  Well, maybe the way to do that is to let Portland and San Francisco go.  🙂

The Chinese would love to see the US replaced by a small Pacific Rim country about the size and inclination of Japan.  

hardnox
Advisor

One statehouse away from the ability to call a constitutional convention.

I'll absolutely predict that if they're able to get The Folk stirred up enough to make a stab at changing the rules it will be the Sumter moment.

Last chance, though, as the demographic clock is ticking. so my guess is they'll try.