Did you mean: 
Samnospam
Advisor

solve this problem

4 Replies
r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: solve this problem

Saw that a few days ago. Come to the conclusion the answer is none of the above.

Samnospam
Advisor

It think its the third one, but I'm not sure if I came at it correctly. I figured it was like having 14 apples and taking away 8, counting the remainder. Humans have been teaching other humans arithmetic for centuries, not that difficult. I do most arthimetic in my head using substitution and rearranging, but I've realized when I've tried to teach my kids how that it is an extremely confusing way to teach simple arithmetic and better left to being self taught.
WCMO
Senior Advisor

I see 4 basic choices:

A.  Stupid questions/problems created by stupid people. 

B.  Questions/problems originally developed in a foreign language, and something was lost in translation.

C.  "Smart" copy machine changed the questions/answers.

D.  Someone's getting paid far too much to come up with questions for children.

And, that deal about 3 * 4 = 11 being okay, that just conjures up thoughts of really bad teachers just jerking kids around, the ones who became teachers that had a little too much self-esteem and need to keep rebuilding their own self-image by making kids look bad.  If the teachers have no power to keep the crap out of the curriculum, then parents need to get the school boards to step it up, or the legislators.

And, that first question on 14 - 8 = ?, I'd say the third one makes the most sense to me.  The way the question is worded does not follow logical thought processes, at least not to me.  Personally, I learned more arithmetic from dice, than dominos.