cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: Neutralizing the elderly votes to allow entitlement reform

@hardnox604008 wrote:

The military/industrial complex borrowed the $2.6 trillion in the SS trust fund.

Time to make them pay it back.

That can only be done by taxing people and corporations with means of magnitude.

Sorry dudes, the credit card bill is due.

This is not about the SS trust fund. This is about reforming the unsustainable medicare system for those under the age of 55.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

A person can get Medicare under the age of 55????

r3020
Senior Advisor

@schnurrbart wrote:

A person can get Medicare under the age of 55????

Bart, read the opening post. It is about reform of the system for those under age 55, not people currently on medicare. It helps to bring maket forces to bear in health care.

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

3020, I doubt that these guys will take the time to read that cerebral essay, and arguing with them is like Don Quixote tilting at the windmills. Whatever you throw out there is wrong to these jackwagons. Only if we had a system with 100% tax on the people they view as "rich" and/or 100% government employment would they find satisfaction.

But it is reassuring to know that conservatives are coming up with solutions, and that there are some very smart people trying to guide us away from the abyss.

Both Levin, and also Michael Scheuer are examples of deep thinking intellects that give me some hope for America. at least a glimmer to counter the gloom that most days bring.

Scheuer would not be classified as a conservative by many, but I think that Michael Scheuer exhibits classical conservative thought with his rational and honest appraisal of the conflicts in the middle east and why we need to disentangle ourselves . Bush Jr. would not be a conservative in any assessment of his actions. Have a great day.

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

Are you perhaps confusing MEDICARE with MEDICAID??  Medicaid does expand the coverage to those below poverty level income for families which is increased so that people now on the edge can get health care and also to poverty level childless adults.  I don't believe there is an age limit or qualifying age for MEDICAID.  No illegals can be in Medicaid and cannot buy insurance from the large group exchange even if they pay for all of it with their own money.

r3020
Senior Advisor

Bart, from the article:

Republicans, on the other hand, believe this is a fundamentally new moment in our politics and that political calculations need not lead to irresponsible policy. They have therefore committed to offering entitlement reforms in their 2012 budget, due out in early April. It seems that although they will be vague about Social Security, they will propose concrete reforms to Medicare. They are likely to leave untouched the benefits of Americans now over age 55. But for those who are younger, Medicare would be transformed into a system of vouchers that recipients would use to buy approved insurance of their choice. (See TIME's graphic on collective outrage.)

bruce MN
Advisor

Don:

"If we magically had a balanced budget, you would be calling for more tax cuts"

That is deeply profuond don. And witha stark historical preceden:

And FWIW, not sure or even willing to argue if we did indeed have one or not but that's what the reports said...that we did...the response to it from the incoming administration, which had just inherited a reported balanced budget, was that "Deficts don't matter." (cr: The new VP).

schnurrbart
Veteran Advisor

You read this.  You have to be 65 not 55 to be eligible for MEDICARE.  MediCAID is something different.  The plan is to create a LARGE insurance exchange.  Companies in that exchange (right now govt employees buy their insurance from a large exchange of around 30-40 companies who are pretty much assured that there will be a very large number of people involved thus they can offer much reduced rates because of the number of people who will utilize the exchange) will be able to lower the premiums.  People who still cannot afford-those in the poverty level brackets will get help from the govt.  The idea is that giving them the money to buy part of their insurance will be cheaper than paying for them to go the emergency room all the time.

Medicare:

• Closes the Medicare prescription drug "donut hole" by 2020. Seniors who hit the donut hole by 2010 will receive a $250 rebate. 
  • Beginning in 2011, seniors in the gap will receive a 50 percent discount on brand name drugs. The bill also includes $500 billion in Medicare cuts over the next decade.

Medicaid:

• Expands Medicaid to include 133 percent of federal poverty level which is $29,327 for a family of four. 
  • Requires states to expand Medicaid to include childless adults starting in 2014. 
  • Federal Government pays 100 percent of costs for covering newly eligible individuals through 2016. 
  • Illegal immigrants are not eligible for Medicaid.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20000846-503544.html#ixzz1IZQQBTMO

dagwud
Senior Contributor

Did you guys even read the article?   From what I gathered they are willing to leave the elderly's benefits the same and it will be us younger folks that will get nailed worse.  

Don, I don't agree that S.S., Medicare and other similar programs don't add to the deficit.  If there were no such programs we would all have 15% or more of our paychecks to keep and spend every week as we see fit.  That is a heck of a lot of money that would be spent on all kinds of merchandise helping create and maintain a whole bunch of jobs and helping pump a lot more tax dollars into city, state and federal budgets.  They is no denying these entitlement programs come at a very real cost.

Because some folks including several Dems don't think it is a good idea for public employees to unionize you guys keep using the same old tired line about "targeting labor."   This is quickly being over used as bad as the race card.

I'm curious Don if you would be in favor of means testing for Social Security?  At a time of trillion dollar deficits should Bill Gates still get full S.S. benefits when he retires? 

A recent article I read on the subject said that both parties have long avoided this debate on means testing for fear of upsetting the older citizens which tend to vote more. They also fear means testing would "recast Social Security from its current perception by citizens as a retirement program to one of outright redistribution or welfare."

Red Steele
Veteran Advisor

This is pretty deep stuff.

You didn't get the nickname "brain" just for picking the toys out of a cereal box, right?

You really don't understand what the article is about, and what the age 55 means?

I apologize, somedays I am a little dense too. Like that time I fell on the ice and smacked my head.