cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hardnox
Advisor

speaking of chickenhawks

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/latest-columns/20160418-andrew-bacevich-why-americas-all-volunteer...

"Put simply, the nation’s military system is out of sync with its military ambitions. That system, euphemistically known as the All-Volunteer Force or AVF, employs a mix of patriotic appeals and material blandishments to induce young Americans to go fight in distant lands. Yet those responding to these inducements are too few in number to get the job done. This is notably the case in the greater Middle East, for decades now the epicenter of U.S. military activity. Ironically, the very doggedness of those who do serve – nursing the hope that one more deployment on top of the last three or four might finally close the deal – provides a handy excuse for ignoring the futility of the larger enterprise on which the United States has embarked.

Worst of all, the rest of us – the non-volunteers – don’t see any of this as a problem."

"Crucially, this indifference toward wars in which Americans as a whole are so little invested allows policymakers to continue those wars in perpetuity, with few questions asked. War thereby becomes a normal condition, with peace at best a theoretical proposition."

If we want to defeat terrorism the barroom warriors need to channel their inner Spartan, "Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori. How sweet and fitting it is to die for one’s country."

31 Replies
r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: speaking of chickenhawks

I thought you was for keeping our nose out of other country's business. Now you want the draft so we can go kill the terrorist? Isn't that what you liberals refer to as imperialism? I thought the people were going to flock to the armed forces now that we accept boys who think they are girls.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

I am against a military draft in this day and age for several reasons i will give:  Just because you force certain children of citizens in the military does not mean that you`ll reduce the support for a war, a "9/11" false flag sends 90% of the population into a tissy who would no doubt say  "Here take the neighbor kid...take my kid...but please don`t hurt me Mr Terrorist"  .  All the draft would do is have a group of mandatory MK Ultra mecenary slave robots to do the nation-state`s kneecap breaking around the world...believe me there would be no shortages of excuses to sell it to the public, it`s only after the body bags and broken young people coming home that there is opposition to a particular war, until then they are all "just wars".

The good generals were fired and replaced by a new crop of politically correct yes men.

The military has turned into a social experiment, in a draft a good clean kid would be forced to bunk with the dregs of society that we normally avoid in day to day life. As nuts as it is there`s be boys and girls showering together...because "everyone is Marine green"  that slogan has been stretched to ridiculous extremes in today`s society. 

Today`s military`s main mission is to "combat climate change" ...that is ridiclous, why don`t they do something more productive like taking a sack and going out at noight to hunt snipe?

https://www.army.mil/article/160581/Climate_Change/ 

But you see what a rabid soldier that Schurrbart is?  Well, he was in when the Army was still good, imagine the crap that would come out if allll the boys and girls of this country had to serve mandatorily.

Anyone suggesting that our young people be forced into that meat grinder should be shot!

http://www.gq.com/long-form/male-military-rape 

hardnox
Advisor

You're both being disingenuous.

The question that is logically posed is that if we don't want to have broad citizen participation in foreign wars then we shouldn't engage in them.

I'm confident that a smaller professional force can handle the Canadians and Mexicans should they simultaneously invade.

Canuck_2
Senior Contributor

Blacksandfarmer
Senior Advisor

America is a country full of chickenhawks. After Sept 11th 2001, America was begging for war. After I graduated high school in the spring of 2002 I went to basic training at the Army infantry school in Ft. Benning GA. I had a two week wait just for a training slot because so many had volunteered after the attacks. By summer of 2003 I was in Afghanistan. I was 19. The war in Iraq had kicked off months earlier. About half my division got sent to Iraq and the other half of us got sent to Afghanistan. We did have a battalion from my division that got sent to a country in Africa as well. Because the war in Iraq took priority at that time we were the only combat brigade in Afghanistan at one point, or in other words we were a force of roughly 3,500 men in a country the size of Texas. We were worked like a rented mule for a while. My unit was supposed to have only done a 6 month tour; we got extended to 9 months and those whose enlistments were due to expire were forced to stay and fight through a process called stop loss (also known as the back door draft). What the military really needed was more boots on the ground for the big spring offensive that year. They got it. We had a guy in my battalion that got killed on that last mission while on stop loss. I didn't personally know the man, but he was still one of my brothers in the battalion and the fact that he was killed while drafted for a country that wouldn't allow a draft didn't set well with many of us. After nearly a year overseas we came home to a very different country. Nobody really supported us anymore; it was like the U.S had forgotten about being attacked and that there was a war raging halfway across the world.  Nobody wanted to fight the war that everybody wanted so badly after the attacks. The military tried to stop loss me and send me to Iraq for what would have been over a year past my enlistment. My hearing had gotten so bad over the course of my enlistment, though, that I had to leave the front line infantry. I had a choice of picking a non-combat job or going home. I chose to go home. I was and have always been haunted by coming home and my buddies getting sent back over without me. I was in a bad spot mentally for a long time. After a while of being home I wanted to go back over and get payback for brothers lost, or even to have the enemy "finish me off". It took years, but I've finally come to peace with it all. I'm not in the dark spot I was in years ago. I've begun to forgive a weak America for drafting those of us who volunteered in the first place, and for sending us over to a war that it didn't have the stomach to finish. Much like Vietnam, we didn't lose on the battlefield of Iraq and Afghanistan, we lost at home.  

Mike

OKdon
Senior Contributor

People that are certain that government is inept at producing a positive result should first of all reject any suggestion that war is a worthy cause.

Secondly, any foreign military involvement should require such actions be financed by special taxes with the intent of balancing the fiscal budget while discouraging military action.

While the american public may support the sending of someone elses kid into harms way they certainly don't want their dollars spent to fund it. There is one thing the war advocates love more than your sons and daughters. It's their dollars and they will shamelessly go to any length to avoid paying for their favorite military excursions.

Its pretty sad when taxpayers refuse to send monetary support along with their neighbors sons and daughters into conflict. We need to pay for Iraq #1 and #2 before we send our troops back again.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Blacksand, thank you for all you've done and had to endure for this country. It's important for all of us to listen to your experience. And Don, I mostly agree for once 🙂
Blacksandfarmer
Senior Advisor

Nox I agree completely. If the country is not willing to send everybody, then a war is not worth it. A war should not be fought by 2% of the population. 

r3020
Senior Advisor

Thank you for your service. If not for people like you people like me would not live as we do.