cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
6 Replies
Advisor

Re: the Old Joe

I have seen similar speeches that argue the same points, but not for incarceration, but rather for abortion.

Senior Contributor

reminiscing

Remember when republicans were fiscal conservatives

Senior Contributor

Re: reminiscing

(Remember when republicans were fiscal conservatives)

No.  I remember them talking about being fiscal conservatives.

Senior Contributor

Yep

Honored Advisor

But how do you get elected in the 21st century being a "fiscal conservative"?    I`m 100% totally serious asking the question, because you touch the 3rd rail of social security Ponzi scheme and you lose 80% of the GOP (100% of Democrats won`t give you time of day even if a conservative proposed doubling SS checks) . 

And the Paul Krugman crowd will smile like a Chestershire cat that it`s already too late to cut our way (austerity) to a balanced budget beings as government spending is hand in glove to GDP.  Cut the budget/cut your throat.

All we can do is hail Mary spending hoping that we`ll grow beyond GDP, keeping the host alive, unable to kill the parasite.  And stay in power to keep our guns and Mexicans out.

Senior Contributor

(But how do you get elected in the 21st century being a "fiscal conservative"?    I`m 100% totally serious asking the question, because you touch the 3rd rail of social security Ponzi scheme and you lose 80% of the GOP (100% of Democrats won`t give you time of day even if a conservative proposed doubling SS checks) . 

And the Paul Krugman crowd will smile like a Chestershire cat that it`s already too late to cut our way (austerity) to a balanced budget beings as government spending is hand in glove to GDP.  Cut the budget/cut your throat.

All we can do is hail Mary spending hoping that we`ll grow beyond GDP, keeping the host alive, unable to kill the parasite.  And stay in power to keep our guns and Mexicans out.)

Yea, some good points, however somebody better get elected soon that is brave enough to reform SS & medicare [I don't find it to be that difficult to raise SS ages 3 -5 years (62 to 65 - 67, etc.) phased in over a period of time, say 12 years.]  Additionally a lot can be cut in the budget starting with military, farm payments green & oil subsidies, not planned parenthood, etc., etc. etc. etc. etc. etc., talk is cheap, time for action.