cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: the problem for the Greenwaldites

From the comments it is obvious that many here do not understand how a constitutional monarchy works.

I think they should study up on that before making more foolish comments about it.

Like a 'presidential system' there are advantages and disadvantages.

Some of all varieties work better than others even 'presidential' systems.

Only true democracies are those where each citizen has a voice/vote on every decision and that is an impossible way to operate other than a very small community. 

Senior Contributor

(I think they should study up on that before making more foolish comments about it.)

Good point Canuck, and right back at you.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

and right back at you

I take it you think I made foolish statements.

Please point out what I posted that met that.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@Canuck_2 wrote:

From the comments it is obvious that many here do not understand how a constitutional monarchy works.

I think they should study up on that before making more foolish comments about it.

Like a 'presidential system' there are advantages and disadvantages.

Some of all varieties work better than others even 'presidential' systems.

Only true democracies are those where each citizen has a voice/vote on every decision and that is an impossible way to operate other than a very small community. 

I think i understand it well enough.  The monarch is the ruler by law but lets canadians rule themselves as long as it pleases the monarch.

Honestly, I said I understand it, but that is wrong.  I know how the system works, but I don't understand how a self respecting person live as a subject of a monarch.

Highlighted
Advisor

Give credit where credit is due

under the heading of "blind squirrel finds a nut" or "stuck clock is right twice a day" is this statement by cucky:

"Only true democracies are those where each citizen has a voice/vote on every decision and that is an impossible way to operate other than a very small community. "

So he does understand somewhat of why true democracies don't work. At some point, he may even understand the genius of the electoral college system.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

lets canadians rule themselves as long as it pleases the monarch.

Did you notice that the Monarch is a 'figurehead' so does the bidding of the government as decided in Parliament .

If no figurehead Monarch we would not have  a constitutional Monarchy and would have to have a different form of government.

There are a number of advantages of a Constitutional Monarchy and many examples around the world where it works well.

Yes there are disadvantages too.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@Canuck_2 wrote:

lets canadians rule themselves as long as it pleases the monarch.

Did you notice that the Monarch is a 'figurehead' so does the bidding of the government as decided in Parliament .

If no figurehead Monarch we would not have  a constitutional Monarchy and would have to have a different form of government.

There are a number of advantages of a Constitutional Monarchy and many examples around the world where it works well.

Yes there are disadvantages too.

Sounds like from what I've read the monarch is only a figure head if they chose to be.  The actual legal authority rest with them.  Is this not the case?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Give credit where credit is due

Is it a genius system that allows the minority to over come the majority?

I am not sure that would be the proper name for a system like that unless you were part of the minority that gets to have their way when the majority wished a different outcome.

Perhaps the minority in Britain should get to have Britain remain in the European system.

Would that be a 'genius ' too?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

(I take it you think I made foolish statements.)

Umm, Yes - and your not just now joining the club.  Did you believe that you've never posted anything foolish?

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Haven't studied it, yet one might assume at some point the monarchy allowed such a system to develop in opposition to the potential headless alternative.