cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: the problem for the Greenwaldites

From above post

this way they would not dictate to the majority of the land mass.

and obviously in a capitalist state like yours it therefore is land owners that own that land mass.

And I will point out that neither of us chose our systems we just happened to live in one or the other.

What is good is if we can recognize the problems of the system we live under and try to mitigate those problems and aim for as democratic outcome as possible.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Give credit where credit is due

as though it means something, when it doesn't

And I guess that is one good reason to keep bringing it up since you do not think rule by majority means anything.

Most governments seeking a democratic rule try to get rule by the majority not the minority.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

The only FACT that MATTERS is Trump won the election. That is the FACT you fail to acknowledge.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

"Rule by majority" is how you define it -- basically all of our elected positions are based on the winner by popular vote, except for our President, which is elected based on majority of electors, so it's still an election by majority, just not a simple majority of the popular vote.  We are not technically defined as a "pure democracy", we are a "democratic republic".  You can do your own research into the definitions.  For us, it's about balance -- the House membership is based on population, the Senate membership is based on statehood -- the number of electors is based on a combination of the two, thus giving each less-populace state more of a voice in the selection of the President than they might otherwise have if solely based on the population or popular vote.  Similarly, the Senate is the voice of each state, while the House is the voice of the population, and bills must pass both, along with the approval of the President, to become law.  Again, similarly, our constitution can be amended based on approval by a majority of the states, not a national popular vote.

Having you continually bring it up as though it's something sensationally new, or somehow surprised how it works, seems simply naive, insane, etc.  Not all folks agree with a monarchy, nor pure democracy, nor several other forms of government, and neither did our ancestors who devised the system after reviewing what they saw as the failures of other governments in their time and in history.

It is what it is, and it has worked for many years.  There have been other Presidents elected who did not win the majority of the popular vote.  Get over it.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Most of the states trust and respect the system we have.  It is likely that most of our population does also, though I haven't seen any statistics or polls on that.  I would suspect that if we operated as a 'pure democracy', then the urban centers would dictate our laws and regulations UNTIL many states would either secede or work to overthrow and/or reorganize the government.

Land mass is not the same as land ownership -- the US government is the largest landowner in the US.  If land mass had anything to do with anything, states like Rhode Island and Connecticut wouldn't be allowed to have 2 senators, or states like Texas and Alaska would have more than 2.  Which gets back to the original genius of our system of Congressional representation, and Presidential election.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

The American experiment goes on ........................call us when you need us.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I know who got the position and I know how he got it but why do you all react so much when I point out the FACT that he lost the popular vote.

Since I am not saying anything that is wrong I am left thinking you are overly sensitive to that FACT of how many wanted this president and hoe many did not.

Now do you think the majority will get their wishes fulfilled in the next election?

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Because the only FACT that MATTERS is who got the position and how he got it. Your girl lost so you want to change the system. If you want to change a system stop paying the queen for being a supremacist.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

(I know who got the position and I know how he got it but why do you all react so much when I point out the FACT that he lost the popular vote.)

Those 3 million votes and a free speaking engagement on deplorable's at a local college would get Hillary an audience of about a dozen C students whom were offered offered extra credit by their liberal professors if they attended.