cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Confused Canuck

@Red Steele wrote:

Guess "Ishmael" didn't care much for my response.

The Anti-Christian bias of this site is noted.

What is 'anti christian' aout this site?

If my pointing out the truth about 'christianity' and their 'beliefs' and the commands in their god book is 'anti' then you are saying that telling the truth is bad.

Is that not something that the christian good book says you should do, tell the truth not a lie?

Senior Advisor

Re: the slave trade as it really was

@Canuck_2 wrote:

r3020 wrote:

You miss the point the slaves were Christians. And through all of their hardship never lost their faith in Almighty God. Because through the death of His Son, Jesus Christ we believers are no longer slaves to death. Jesus destroyed that slave master while on the Cross.

You have a different understanding of history than I do.

I thought the slaves were torn from their families and communities in Africa before christianity moved into that continent to any great extent.

i was on the understanding that in slavery going to a christian church was one of the few liberties a slave was allowed by their owner so they chose to do so and used the church to help organize escapes from their bondage.

Tell that to the thousands of slaves 1800 years after this christ was supposed to have been killed to free them.

Tell that to the chritians who OWNED them.

You tell them. Their church doors are always open and they will welcome you with open arms.

Senior Contributor

Re: You do realize...

No, I will say that historically, slavery has existed, and the Bible mentions it.

Since you seem to be convinced that the Bible says that it is OK for Christians to be slave owners, could you please direct me to the chapter and verse that says that?

I think it would be more accurate to say that the predominating culture was such that Slavery existed, and that Christians were merely part of that culture, and that the idea that someone was born a slave, just because of their race, was not condoned by the Bible.  By and large, he children of slaves were brought up as citizens, with the same rights as any other citizen.

I know nothing I say is going to change your mind about God or the Bible, but if you REALLY want something that requires faith, and not proof, try talking about why we need things like a carbon tax to stop Global Warming.

Senior Contributor

Jesus commanded his followers to love others as much as you love yourself.

I guess if you were one who loved being a slave, it was OK to be a slave owner.   Otherwise, I read it to mean that if you wouldn't want to be a slave, you shouldn't have slaves.

Senior Contributor

I'll answer that after you tell me why the all powerful God that created the world and the universe needs your money and my money to spread his word?

A kind and loving God would provide for the masses. Food shelter healthcare. Instead we have a capitalist world where survival depends on being the fittest. 

Senior Contributor

How many dead americans in the same time frame?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@OKdon wrote:

How many dead americans in the same time frame?

Dont ask him questions so deep Don.  He is out of his depth on a wet footpath.

Senior Contributor

@Husker-J wrote:

No, I will say that historically, slavery has existed, and the Bible mentions it.

Since you seem to be convinced that the Bible says that it is OK for Christians to be slave owners, could you please direct me to the chapter and verse that says that?

I think it would be more accurate to say that the predominating culture was such that Slavery existed, and that Christians were merely part of that culture, and that the idea that someone was born a slave, just because of their race, was not condoned by the

Bible. By and large, he children of slaves were brought up as citizens, with the same rights as any other citizen.

Leviticus 25:44-46New International Version (NIV)

44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

Exodus 21:4New International Version (NIV)

4 If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the woman and her children shall belong to her master, and only the man shall go free.

I know nothing I say is going to change your mind about God or the Bible, but if you REALLY want something that requires faith, and not proof, try talking about why we need things like a carbon tax to stop Global Warming.

I will stick to facts and if you do some research you will find facts to back up Global Warming. Nice try to divert the thread from facts you do not like.

Senior Contributor

@Husker-J wrote:

Jesus commanded his followers to love others as much as you love yourself.

I guess if you were one who loved being a slave, it was OK to be a slave owner.   Otherwise, I read it to mean that if you wouldn't want to be a slave, you shouldn't have slaves.

Just as the bible did not condem what is a terrible crime, owning other humans, you are willing to pass slavery off as OK if the owner thinks it is OK.

Shame on you! 

Senior Contributor

@OKdon wrote:

I'll answer that after you tell me why the all powerful God that created the world and the universe needs your money and my money to spread his word?

A kind and loving God would provide for the masses. Food shelter healthcare. Instead we have a capitalist world where survival depends on being the fittest. 

The only answer you will get Don is "god works in mysterious ways" that a person just has to get out there and do it themselves.

Rational thought and critical thinking is not a bright spot in 'believers'.

I guess we could forgive them as they were brainwashed as a child and never really took the time to understand what their parents and others poured into their tiny brains.

Many of us who researched the truth were able to shake off the brainwashing as we grew and expanded our knowledge but for those who never question, never looked, never thought critically they are stuck with the false claims they were taught as youngsters.

It would not be so bad if they did not keep trying to force the misinformation and untruths on the rest of us.