cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

amazing success story

For thousands and thousands of years humans inhabited the continent and wildlife did pretty well, those people had very little government.    Along comes a government and poof wildlife wiped out.  In fact if you look around history a bit, its almost like anywhere a government becomes more intensive the wildlife suffers.   

Guess it depends on your perspective.

Highlighted
Advisor

Re: things government does

Yeah, I've always tried to maintain a bit of habitat where it was halfway practical.  I'd alwasy been pretty liberal about letting people hunt who asked. Unfortunately it only takes a couple of bad experiences to sour you on it and in particular don't find it wise to affront offenders who are carrying guns.

Had a case where a couple of guys who I'd given permission to hunt deer who darn near got in a gun battle when a guy hunting the adjoining property shot across the property line at a deer that they were watching and in their general direction. Which ended up with me complaining to the neighbor, who I thought I got along with fine and he unleashed a number of grievances he'd been holding against me (said I spray drifted his beans many years ago, which I would have addressed had he said something; said I'd moved some rocks damming up an open ditch at the property line, which was true and my right).

Anyway, just a lot of unnecessary unpleasantness that I don't need.

I'm not crazy about deer- fine to have a few around but I'd be fine with culling the herd harder. Still enjoy seeing some small game and other wildlife.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: amazing success story

What ever you do sammy, do not place any blame on human existance for the diminishing of wild life piopulation. The african elephant and rinosaurus have not declined because of over hunting. It's because of some government action that has claimed their lives.

If only the world had been ungoverned, the wild life would have prospered beyond limits

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Some times those fellers are like Bundy and think they own the land. So when they fire bullets through a vacant house, they are not quite thinking right. If i wanted holes in it, I would have put holes in it. Or if they shoot the tail lights out of my pickup, theymight have considered that I needed tail lights and brake lights.

And when they stole the copper wire from my grain bin they might have considered i would have to replace it. Those same guys think they should have unlimited access to firearms and accessto my land.

One young fellow was hunting my land and I asked for his ID. His reply was that i wouldn't know him anyway. Then asked why in thehell wouldI allow someone I don't know to hunt my land. Next he repliedthat a neighbor told him that I wouldn't care.  I wouldn't have if he had asked permission. Sometimes hunters have some pretty bizzare logic. Like shooting a no hunting sign because they are deprived!

Highlighted
Advisor

good to see you're finally catching on.
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Jackrabbits were almost hunted to extinction here, after there was a bounty put on them, due to overpopulation.  I think that was before the days of responsible management, though.   They were considered a scourge, and were to be wiped out.

Highlighted
Advisor

AsElvis would say  thank you.....thank you very much

Highlighted
Advisor

That is probably your most disingenuous post that I can recall.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Trespassing, looting, destroying other peoples property, stealing, vandalism - sounds like your occupy wall street pals.