cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

those left wing posters are probably NSA

"these GCHQ documents are the first to prove that a major western government is using some of the most controversial techniques to disseminate deception online and harm the reputations of targets. Under the tactics they use, the state is deliberately spreading lies on the internet about whichever individuals it targets, "

Recently released documents show that the government is using bloggers to discredit and spread false rumors.  No doubt it's part of the same mindset that has taken over the IRS, government protecting itself from the people.

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/02/24/jtrig-manipulation/  

So you have to honestly wonder how many of the liberal sycophants on here and other sites are simply government shills regurgitating information they've created on other sites.  

10 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: those left wing posters are probably NSA

Strictly volunteers I think
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Nope, on the payroll then and on it now!
Highlighted
Advisor

My limited interactions with young people who are employed by some facet of the new security state indicates that they are pretty much true in their beliefs that they are "protecting our freedom." Definitely skews more to the Republican side in my limited sample.

My guess is that Sinclair's quote best applies-

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it."

A lot better salary than working at Geek Squad or as a mall cop, and bennies. And you get to feel like a playa.

I'm acquanted or have a degree of separation from several who got astonishingly well paying jobs right out of school (to their parents well broadcast delight). Alas, the Golden Age of Government Contracting ca. 2002-8 has ended and those outfits are now also feeling the heat of no more unlimited budgets and competition and are laying off or reducing salaries.

When I was pickig up little tidbits from the front I mused over whether somewhere deep in the bowels of rationale there was a Rovian element of not only buying the allegiance and patronage of the contractor bigwigs but also of the hundreds of thousands of employees. Dunno, can't really say.

Highlighted
Advisor

Of course it is a well established fact, abundantly supported by FOIA documentation, that the FBI became, or was told to become, alarmed at the pernicious potential of JFK conspiracy theories and entered into a long effort to sow discord and disinformation and disrupt discussion of them.

And I'd assume that yes, there is a degree of monitoring and fiddling with your favorite conspiracy theories, and mine.

Highlighted
Advisor

And you know, the disinformation efforts are probably highly secondary to the larger game. Monitoring, I'm not sure (my son tells me I'm going to end up in a FEMA camp).

Taking JFK as an example, the real game is how you affect secondary and tertiary thought leaders through the primary ones. If you want to be a pundit, want to be invited to pontificate on Meet the Press, want to get elected dogcatcher, you have to disavow any of those beliefs. And that drives down to all the other people below them who just want to get ahead in the world, want to be part of the smart set, a part of which is a matter of Knowing What Smart People All Know.  Thus it quickly becomes a matter that's like farting, just not done in better circles.

Left or right its all the same ala' Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radicals- 'the most powerful force known to man is ridicule."

So for better or worse, finding myself in a place where I really have to give a darn what anybody thinks of me (not even looking for a farm to rent- driving up to the landlords with an odd bumper sticker would not be a good move, for example) then it is really marvelously freeing to not have to believe stupid things just so I'll be mistaken for smart.

As far as conspiracy theories go, I l love 'em.  A lot of them I'm not buying but it is still all pretty fascinating, both pro and con.

Highlighted
Advisor

Gotta run but just thought I'd give you a teaser- probably time for an updated version of my Grand Unified Conspiracy Theory That Explains Everything.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I think actually the Conservative posters are the one`s where a rabble rouser "plant" could be. About 3 years ago there was a poster on here that was right about everything, except he often hinted at violence and that kind of made my spidey senses tingle, he totally disappeared now, but the things that make you go hmmm.

The NSA or old Echelon, I`m sure has certain words that glean into algorithms, I`d be very suprised if a few posts on here haven`t tripped a few alarms over at Langey or Quantico.  But, being "too clean" is suspicious in of itself  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Which one of your buds so you suspect?

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Remember the guy that claimed his friend invented the reversable cornhead?  He may or may not been a plant...probably just a little over zealous, but my Spidey senses did tingle.