cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wehav
Senior Contributor

thought for today, the bull about uniting

name a single free society that was ever united outside of wartime.* The only truly united countries are totalitarian states.

"Republican Gov. John Kasich and Democrat Hillary Clinton regularly proclaim their intention to bring Americans together. He, one suspects, because he is naive, and she, because she will say pretzels come from Neptune if it will garner votes."

*even then there were people that were saying we shouldn't be in WWII

19 Replies
bruce MN
Advisor

Re: thought for today, the bull about uniting

United, maybe, in a sense in some modest consensus that we don't cannibalize each other? That having happened is what created those totalitarian regimes. My greatest fear currently is that by Winter there will be no semblance left of a universally functioning Republican Party. Just a mass of loosely organized state legislative districts scattered across the country, with no umbrella. Run brutally by rednecks and Monday morning libertarians. Gathering up firewood, kettles and carving tools.
Milligan Hay - Iowa d:^)
Veteran Advisor

@bruce MN wrote:
United, maybe, in a sense in some modest consensus that we don't cannibalize each other? That having happened is what created those totalitarian regimes. My greatest fear currently is that by Winter there will be no semblance left of a universally functioning Republican Party. Just a mass of loosely organized state legislative districts scattered across the country, with no umbrella. Run brutally by rednecks and Monday morning libertarians. Gathering up firewood, kettles and carving tools.

Bring it on!

image.jpeg

r3020
Senior Advisor

Whats wrong Bruce? You afraid black lives matters are going to expand beyond college campuses?

bruce MN
Advisor

Nope.  More just a demographic of heretofore modestly entitled and peaceable folks who benignly trusted the GOP and various adjunct organizations and institutions to "look after matters" for them and in their interests. Ultimately finding themselves caught up in the same web  of financialization, shrinkage and consolidation that has been ensnared their contemporaries in the laboring middle classes for a few decades now and not knowing whether to sxxx or go blind.  Becoming capable of anything. 

r3020
Senior Advisor

Who are these modestly entitled and peacable folks? And just what do you think they are getting ready to do?

hardnox
Advisor

Although I have to ask, just what have the folks who fund the propaganda outlets that disseminate von Hayek and Rand malarky done for you lately?

hardnox
Advisor

True enough about there never being an absolute consensus though. I've posted randomly about things like the substantial number of confederate sympathizers down in 3020s neck of the woods, or the movie Republic of Jones which tells the real story of poor white southerners who got dragooned into the army but didn't much truck with fighting so that rich men could keep their slaves (although in the way that legends gets written, when they got old the survivors thought, "oh what the heck, I might as well be a hero").

Even FDR's GI Gen was never more than 65-35, 70-30 at best.

But a new consensus is going to form as old farts die and more young people reach voting age. And you're not going to like it.

As far as Clinton and Kasich, no. Kasich is a Republican and the party is dying. If he was elected and actually tried governing on the basis that he's running (somewhere to the right of Reagan), he'll get Boehnered. Hillary, no. The Clintons have always been better dividers than uniters, they just do it strategically, picking off special interest support on either side.

Bernie the Gray Champion probably isn't going to make it but he'll make straight the path for the one who is to come. Or maybe we'll just quietly become slow Koched frogs, but I'm an optimist.

bruce MN
Advisor

Your and my friends and neighbors...here and there and everywhere.  Never have given more than a modest donation and cast a loyal vote.  And I thought I said what....they have no idea. Have never ever considered that things wouldn't simply remain. Not likely to join up with the Long Knives, many likely to capitulate to what they suppose must be something akin to progress. They've been doing that, although unwittingly and at times begrudgingly, right along anyway.                                                      What the party collapse does is turn, at least for a while, into a den of anarchy. Leaving things to, as nox so brilliantly coined sometime in the past few days, the whims and hustings of "professional Democrats".  The Clinton, Emanuel kind.  Who I don't like any better than you do. 

KNAPPer
Senior Contributor

How is "bring Americans together" any better or worse that "make America great again?"

They are both just sayings designed to appeal to a set of voters. In reality, no president is going to bring Americans together completely and no president can make America great just by saying so.

Totalitarian states are not united. Only the face is united through the government controlled media, suppression of free speech, and people not wanting to stick their necks out and get hung. There is dissent in every country and the more people are free, the more you are likely to hear it.

The real roadblock in bring Americans together is a bought, sold and paid for congress who refuses to represent them because of overwhelming special interest influence. It's everywhere you look and it certainly won't make America great either.