cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

tight race question???

Does preserving the view of a tight presidential race preserve the family newspaper?

Is Sandy interupting the harvest of taxpayer dollars that fund politics?

3 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: tight race question???

Had that conversation with a relative who works in mid-sized town journalism quite recently.  The papers used to all seem to represent a side or another.  It's how they got a following and built sales.  I the were milqtoast centrist nobody bought them.   And that often led to more than one good source of news in many towns and cities.

Nowadays, sales are down, people resist paying for on-line subcriptions and ad revenue is being lost to the internet so it's a danged tough and low profit..if any at all...business.  So ownership tells editorial staff that they need to be bend over backwards centrist and FOX styled "fair".   Lots of weak point-counterpoint stuff.   Trouble is, no matter how far off of center one side or the other is, reporting seems to have come to where it places them just a half a degree to the left or right of center.  So that some people will continue to buy the paper

The best daily newspaper that I've ever known of, and I've read a few, is The DM Register.  Call me cynical, but I'm deeply and sadly convinced that is what was going down with that endorsement.  Close 2nd best ever paper was The Duluth News Tribune.  Until it was bought out by the Murdoch owned Fargo Forum, and day turned into night up there.

Highlighted
Advisor

I think there is a lot to that idea, but include the rest of the media, ratings, ads, etc..  There's a he!! of a lot of money up for grabs in this election.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

And this "Harvest" of political dollars comes just once every 4 years to a hungry, starving media market.