cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Contributor

time to equalize social security

Now that some states are raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour or about double what it was and about quadruple what many are worth, it's time to raise social security too. 

Retiree's live on a fixed income that see's government workers and unskilled workers getting enormous wage increases. Retiree's see's farmers getting billions of dollars to offset government practices and it's only fair that social security should also rise to meet the ever increasing real cost of living.

Social security should see and immediate 50% raise to help recipients deal with an ever increasingly expensive society mandated by governments.

6 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: time to equalize social security

good post...since the higher middle income folks subsidize the SS system and don't really get all that much more SS, it is time to just scrap the way it works, put a smaller percentage tax..say 2.5 percent on all income, and pay retired people equally. Better still would be to means test social security and just pay the truly needy , and encourage people to fund their own retirements. Personal responsibility. Then maybe we could get by with a one percent tax on all income. Let people keep more of their own money, and they can subsidize who they see fit to.

the poor people with $500 per month social security need it a whole lot more than the rich people that use their SS checks to travel all over the globe with their checks. We see a lot of that here, right?

Having said that, I am going to take my checks and have fun, too if the money is still there in ten years....and hope I live to be 102 and laugh all the way to the bank each month.

Veteran Advisor

The  Wage  cap ( Oasid )   was  raised to   $132,900.oo   from   $128,400.oo,   in  2019  -   -  -

Hopefully,  each  of  you  have  the  obligated  the  132  mark  - Smiley LOL 

Veteran Advisor

I would be happy to see the WEP program go away but that won’t happen either.
Highlighted
Advisor

It would be quite the sight to see the responses to your seemingly well thought out and somewhat reasonable proposal from the vast majority of those who actually keep the GOP afloat.

The plutocracy and their dependent minions will defend the current cap more voraciously than any Thumper will changes in cultural issue or any neocon on America first foreign intervention.

Advisor

Wondering how modest sized proprietary enterprises fall into this?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/10/opinion/us-economy-stagnation-growth.html

Senior Contributor

Social security as it is now implanted is not the "forced savings" plan originally envisioned but a form or income redistribution.

Yes, I resent paying social security taxes I will never recover for the benefit of people who never earned them.