cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sam1wiseone
Senior Contributor

to revisit

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/booker-warnock-bring-social-justice-goals-to-agriculture-pan... 

The Senate Agriculture Committee will get two new Democratic members who are likely to try to hold the Biden administration to its pledge to address federal policies that adversely affect Blacks and other minorities

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-12-11/for-black-farmers-is-justice-finally-on-the-wa... 

.Booker’s bill could place Black farmers at the vanguard of this revolution. It authorizes the USDA to spend up to $8 billion a year acquiring land and granting it in 160-acre plots to Black farmers. (There is precedent: The 1862 Homestead Act gave away 270 million acres in 160-acre increments, mostly to white settlers.) 

10 Replies
r3020
Senior Advisor

Re: to revisit

If the USDA gives 160 acres to a black farmer is he allowed to sell it to a white guy?

rsbs
Veteran Advisor

more recent examples of land re-distribution from white to black is Rhodesia and South Africa. Egypt tried that more than once, and found out that in about ten years the original owners would get the land back...hmmm.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Which will never happen in a million years.

Like reparations in the larger scheme, just trolling certain types of folks to get their heads to explode.

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

If "racial harmony" is the purported goal of the deep state, I don`t think programs such as that will achieve it.  By the way according to my ancestry test, I`m 1/16 Black, do I get 10 acres?  or is that enough to git me the whole quarter?  Smiley Happy

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

The segregation of land ownership in these parts came about by different means and reasons.

But the Dixiecrats were essential to the New Deal coalition. In the South the county committee system was made to order for Jim Crow.

gurly3801539
Advisor

Bloomberg story is either poorly researched or poorly written. A high of 207,815 black farmers in 1910, then farmers of all races lost land but if black farmers left agriculture at the same rate as whites there would be at least a quarter million more black farmers around today.  If  leaving agriculture how would the numbers go up?

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Basically, until John Deere came out with the 4020, a lot of farmers and their kids thought farming sucked.  Suuuure, now it`s fun 36 row planters that steer themselves, 12 row cornheads, graincarts and semis, but those families that hanged on for these past 50 years left a lot of toehead, white, honky farmers that went broke or quit by the skin of their teeth in the BTO`s wake.  

A lot of land was bought for $3,000 in `79 and the Shurrf sold it on the courthouse steps for $1,000 in `85.  Now at $12,000/acre you can`t "farm" it and pay for it.  You need enough other acres mortgaged to buy it or having a off farm business and "launder" that revenue through your breakeven farm enterprise.  

It seems to me if Cory Booker and Warnock heard someone describing their plan to give "Blacks" each 160 acres  as a "troll that wouldn`t stand a 1 in a million chance" they would be very offended, I think they and their followers are 100% serious.

sdholloway56
Senior Advisor

Although it is a more complicated tale.

Don't know how the census identified "farmers" in 1910 but we know it is a little bit iffy today.

A lot of those black farmers in 1910 were probably sharecroppers who either left because of the hostile environment or, in the final wave, were displaced by the cotton picker.

I do think the erstwhile Booker/Warnock proposal is dumb, and was never thought to be a serious consideration. Other than now being a pot-o-money, what does 160 do for you today as far as actually being a "farmer?"

Best I can really come up with is USDA making sure that black farmers have access to credit.

After that it comes down to what I almost got run out of the FB state policy meeting over back in about 1990. In a discussion where some were saying we need more help for young farmers, I said "wouldn't it be cheaper to just quit subsidizing old farmers?"

BA Deere
Honored Advisor

Didn`t "they" get 40 acres and a mule back in the day?  Mike Stamp parlayed that into 40,000 acres once.