cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Advisor

Re: Post Office teetering on insolvency.

Who do you think that might be?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Insurance rates

Actually, the statement that PO workers get better health insurance benefits is somewhat misleading.  They do have the same health insurance policies and options available to them as all federal workers.  However when you factor in the rates paid by PO employees, that statement is correct.  They always have gotten better rates than other federal employees.

Go to this link at OPM, click on any plan under the column 2011 rate and you'll see the different rate charts for non-postal and postal employees.  In general, would guesstimate they pay about 25% less than the rest of the federal workforce.

http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/planinfo/2011/states/me.asp

Just changing that to have them pay same rate as others could bring some savings.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

You are the  x mailman so I won`t pretend to know more than you. It would seem to me that any number of delivery companies (Fed x, UPS ACT.) would jump at the chance to get that extra freight. Might take a while to get sorted out but what are the alternatives?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Fedex and UPS already do get some of the business.  There have been a number of times when visiting with the postmaster in our little PO that the Fedex or UPS truck pulls up and drops off a bag full of packages that were originated through USPS, but end up being delivered to local PO by Fedex or UPS.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Re: Suggest that you contact the Post Office........

FWIW, my in-laws delivered mail up to this June.  There has been talk of only delivering mail 3 days a week in some rural areas to save money.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Both fedex and ups do carry a lot of packages and overnight mail.  And they both have contracts with the PO to deliver many of their  packages for them.  When I was working almost every day, a fedex, ups and/or DSL driver would bring in packages for us to take out.  They were usually overnight stuff.  They originate at fedex or ups not the other way around.  The problem with them taking over the letter, newspapers and magazine part of it is that they are not set up to go house to house every day.  They go to maybe one or two houses on a postal route each day.  They don't have the infrastructure nor the manpower to do it.  They would have to re-structure and hire almost as many new folks as the PO already has.  So what would you gain?  Also, as I said earlier, UPS for usre has a MUCH better retirement tahn USPS does.  I graduated HS with a fellow that worked for UPS and he had one more year service than I did when we retired and he draws twice what I do.  It is not an easy situation to do.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I KNOW, I KNOW!!! **bleep** Cheney and Halliburton!!