Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

16 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: Why the Gun is Civilization

What's keeping anyone in the society or juridiction you live in who meets qualifications regarding record of criminality from owning a gun if they want to own one? I know of no laws that would keep me from it. Are there some hanging over you?
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Not so sure about that opinion this clip

The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100- pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year-old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year-old gang- banger, and a single gay guy on equal footing with a carload of drunken guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a poten- tial attacker and a defender. 

Seems to assume the one with the gun is the only one with a gun.

If the others had a gun too i think the disparities are right back in play.

He is right when he says 

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively inter- act through persua-
sion. Force has no
place as a valid
method of social
interaction,

So does that not say that the gun really takes away from that 'truly moral civilized society'?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Not yet...............

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Doesn't look like bruce understands the article and at the same time Canuck seems to at least understand it but is choosing to try to twist facts to make some sort of point that guns are bad.

Thank you founding fathers for having more brains than those two

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/breaking/bs-md-handgun-law-20120305,0,3660988,full.story

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@man of steel wrote:

Doesn't look like bruce understands the article and at the same time Canuck seems to at least understand it but is choosing to try to twist facts to make some sort of point that guns are bad.

Thank you founding fathers for having more brains than those two

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/breaking/bs-md-handgun-law-20120305,0,3660988,full.story

Who is 'twisting' anything except you saying I hate guns.

I was just pointing out if everyone has a gun then they are all on the same footing as if no one had a gun unless of course one has a bigger gun..............

But I do not think there is anything 'twisted' about society being truly moral and civilized when people do not use force at all.

BTW did you see the other headlines on the left side of your linked story.

You know all the stories about 12 and 13 year olds killing someone with a rifle, police investigating fatal shooting, three men shot one killed earl Sunday etc. Or what about this story http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/breaking/bs-md-ar-robbery-shooting-20120229,0,1395905.story

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Would it follow then, that the fellow with the MOST/BIGGEST guns is the MOST civilized?

I'm thinking in terms of some anti-social hermit fellow who moves to Montana, and lives in a shack in the forest-frequently adding to his arsenal?     KenJ

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

@Hawken Cougar wrote:

@Canuck_2 wrote:
Who is 'twisting' anything except you saying I hate guns.

I was just pointing out if everyone has a gun then they are all on the same footing as if no one had a gun unless of course one has a bigger gun..............

But I do not think there is anything 'twisted' about society being truly moral and civilized when people do not use force at all.

BTW did you see the other headlines on the left side of your linked story.

You know all the stories about 12 and 13 year olds killing someone with a rifle, police investigating fatal shooting, three men shot one killed earl Sunday etc. Or what about this story http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/breaking/bs-md-ar-robbery-shooting-20120229,0,1395905.story

With respect to the red text:  All will be on an equal footing if no one has a gun?  If you think about it a little you will recognize that is a false statement. 

The point was they would be on the same footing as they were before they each had a gun.

And if you read the link I provided in that post you would see how even having a gun does not always help you.

"The victim told police that he was investigating a noise in the kitchen when an unknown man confronted him. During the ensuing struggle, the man wrestled a handgun away from the victim, who police said was shot with what investigators think was his own weapon."

You don't suppose he might have been better off with no gun do you??

And now the intruder has a gun for his next break in.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Quote someone not involved in the gun industry and you might get some to listen to you