Advisor

Re: Ron Paul on the subject

Which ? Was that
Veteran Advisor

With all due respect, read!

Senior Advisor

Agree with congressman Paul and Dennis Kucinich.

Every military engagement since WWII has proceeded without an official congressional declaration. Thwe wisdom of all of those actions are questionable. In lives ;lost in consumption of treasure and is america safer.

The president needs to ask the congress and the congress needs to vote on a declaration and be accountable for it. Either the  congressmen vote for or against the declaration and there would be no question about their stand on the issue.

Veteran Advisor

Has Libya declared war on us?  Granted it would appear that foreign aircraft bombing and ships sending missiles into a foreign country would be an act of war but not sure how UN sanctions are looked at under the rules of warfare.  I'm sure Libya is a member nation of the UN.  Maybe some of the know alls will define it for us and give us the "facts" and not opinions.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Obama's Illegal War?

For those Repubs complaining about Obama conducting an illegal war I'll remind you that Reagan did not have Congressional approval before going into Grenada nor did he when he fired cruise missiles into Libya in an attempt to take out Qaddafi.

Bart, not only is Libya a member of the U.N. they were for a time selected to sit on the U.N. Security Council and even got to head the Security Council for a time as that position rotates between current members on the council.

The interesting thing on the U.N. Security Council is there are 15 members with five permanent members.  These five: China, France, U.S., Russia and the United Kingdom have veto power.  Another thing in common with the five permanent members is that they are five of the top ten largest arms exporting countries in the world and all have nuclear weapons yet try to keep others from attaining them. 

And people wonder why I have concerns with the U.N.?

Advisor

I agree Don, even though generally we've at least seen some debate in congress and some resolution passed, the commitment to the resolution has been taken pretty lightly. Why has congress abdicated its constitutional role and not forced the issue? They probably agree with whatever action it is but want some level of separation to cover their posterior.
Senior Advisor

I think you are right Sammy. I think they know they want to do something but don't think the people would tolerate a declaration of war.

It's a bit like saying your girlfriend is a little bit pregnant. It doesn't sound quite as bad as saying she is knocked up.

"well yeah I voted for this military action but I didn't think it was gonna turn into a full blown war!

Going into a military action requires a congressional declaration so there is no doubt about americás commitment to a war. Without that commitment then the american people aree not willing to support the sacrifice it takes.

I surely hope one day that we realize that everyone loses during a military action..

Senior Contributor

Re: like libya called odumer their son--aint you proud ole yeller

Senior Contributor

Re: looks like a runner like you yeller

Advisor

Its' become obvious that perpetual neocolonialism is simply a bug that we cannot shake. Or a drug as strong as teh most potent heroin.

We simply do not know how to not.

Most of the people here probably have it on parental block on their TVs so that their kids won't get ruined by Mr. Rogers re-runs and Sponge Bob Square Pants, but the 6  0'clock  PBS News Hour this evening has a riviting discussion between the moderator, Gen. Brent Snowcroft and Zbig Brezenski. They aren't in agreement on "if we should have", but both seemed morbidly resigned to it all some how.

Very much worth a look see:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/world/jan-june11/overview_03-21.html