cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: The trouble with liberals as explained by a long time democrat

What about the banks and fiscal policy? Are you in full support of the way 95% of the Repblicans in Congress have been speaking and voting on that?

It's the primary issue. Everything else is way behind on the docket.

And crazy as it sounds, if McCain had won and his re-election had been at stake over how he handled the financial crisis the  Republicans in Congrees would be doing pretty much what the Democrats have in terms of policy and law. They've shown over the past 15 years or so that they had absolutley no aversion to spending, deficits and massive long term debt. 

and now they are locked into oppostion to some actually good things, things that at any other time in our history would have been seen as conservative...very conservative.. but are now are being seen in a bad light because public representatives from the same party as this anethma, this coootie of a President comes from are carrying them.

Senior Advisor

I must not have been plain. I asked for the changes you expect from repubs not what you don't like about Obama.

You're simply in a negative rut and you don't have a clue what to expect from republicans.

Honored Advisor

There you have it Bruceman, the gangrenous leg has to be amputated but no one wants to tell us. Because we`ll just find a doctor that says we only need a band-aid and asprin.

Senior Advisor

Smaller government.

Honored Advisor

I must not have been plain.  Get the f-in` **bleep**s out of the Army. Ship the god **bleep** Mexicans the f*** out of here and bring back the factories with living wage jobs that we sent down there with NAFTA. Get rid of unconstitutional crap that WE CAN`T AFFORD like Obamacare. How is any of that not positive Smiley Happy ?? 

Honored Advisor

You might swear too much if......you clean it up as best you can and still get censored Smiley Surprised

Senior Advisor

Re: do you think any part of that

will be done by republicans.  Will they campaign on those issues and how would they get any of it done with a presidential veto.

I think you have unrealistic expectations and what you will get out of repubs is more of the same old same old.

Veteran Advisor

You really don't see anybody on either side of the fence that debates the wisdom of the Reagan tax reductions, now, after the fact. Letting private folk and business spend their hard earned money started an economic expansion that set the course for a balanced budget a decade later, only it was Bill Clinton, ever the opportunist, that took credit for this.

You will notice that when the left brings up repealing the republican tax cuts, it is the tax cuts under GW Bush, not the much more massive ones that Reagan implemented. Tax cuts that set the stage for people to become self made millionaires once again, the economic engine of growth that has made America successful, way beyond the rest of the world. GW Bush and his cronies went too far, and like the pendulum of a grandfather clock, they have been replaced with the current administration that goes way too far to the other extreme. It is too bad we have to deal with  the excesses and cannot have a more steady ride.

I believe that America's best days may still be ahead of us, and that this current nightmare will pass, and the collective dreams of hard working Americans will once more be allowed to come to fruition. God bless the sacrifices of all those that have served America, to give us this great land, where we are allowed to pursue our visions, and to harvest the sweat of our labors.

And for those that would work to destroy America, may you think and reason, and finally get it. Reagan is right , at least for many of the leftists...they are not really stupid people, they just don't think things through to the end.

Senior Advisor

Re: Great strategy

Cut taxes and wait. If a decade later or two decades later the economy booms, attribute the prosperity to the tax cuts when ever it happens. Cut taxes again and whenever revenus rise credit the tax cuts again.

After all our economy has never had robust prosperity without a tax cut. That is the assinine argument you are making.  Just how far would you run the national budget in the ditch before you conclude you are using faulty logic? 

Reagan 8 years Double the debt. Bush two 8 years double the debt again with assured deficits far beyond his reign.  THERE  IS NO EVIDENCE THAT REVENUE INCREASES WOULD NOT HAPPEN WITHOUT TAX CUTS.  To dispute that you have to assume that the only time we have revenue increases is post a tax cut and that is nonsense.

Senior Contributor

Re: Great strategy

"Reagan 8 years Double the debt. Bush two 8 years double the debt again with assured deficits far beyond his reign."

Tell us Don how much the debt has gone up with Obama in just a little over a years time?  I'm curious how you try to cover up Obama's growing debt by saying that after Bush we were "assured deficits far beyond his reign" yet you try to suggest that after Reagan's 8 years of increased debt Clinton miraculously balanced the budget all by himself with no help from the Republican Congress.  If Clinton could do it why not Obama?  Could it be Obama is more liberal then Clinton when it comes to spending?

You always complain about tax cuts and feel we should be paying more although I'm betting you never volunteer to pay more then your required share of taxes.  What I'm confused about is if tax cuts are so bad then why did Obama and your Democratic led Congress decide now is not the time to raise taxes and decided to extend many of Bush's tax cuts? 

I am still of the belief that presidents from both parties get to much credit and blame for the economy when in reality any boom or bust cycle started long before they took office.  I do think Clinton was lucky to have followed Reagan because I believe Reagan's increased spending on the military and his Star Wars program finally broke Russia who had tried to keep pace with the U.S. build up.  The collapse of the Soviet Union allowed Clinton to make major cuts in military spending and to close several military bases.

You are right Don in that social spending is not the root cause of all our problems.   However we can not ignore the fact that increased social spending is a growing problem and one that has many others countries in trouble as well.  We are making promises that we simply can not meet in the future especially as baby boomers start to retire.  We have gone from the attitude of helping out those in need to a policy similar to our farm policy where we hand out money no matter if they need it or not in some warped attempt of preventive medicine which to often trains people to come to expect and rely on governmnet hand outs as opposed to becoming self sufficient.  We no long try to help folks get back on their feet but instead have now become a permanent crutch for them.

Bruce, I think you will see many incumbents from both parties losing this Nov. although I do think Dem losses will be greater as voters tend to punish the party in power when things are not going good.   As Carville said, "It's the money stupid."  I think many voters besides those that indemnify with the Tea Party movement are upset and feel that those in Washington are simply not doing the bidding of the people but those of special interest.  I do think that if Repubs take back control of Congress that their reign will be short lived if they do not get tough on financial reform and if they repeal or water down the recently passed health care reform while not offering their own plan to help control health care costs and to cover more people especially those with existing conditions that insurance companies turn away knowing they can not make money off them.  I do hope and think most newly elected Congress men and women will have got the message and will start out being more conservative in their spending.  It remains to be seen just how long that will last before the lobbyists get the hooks in them.