Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hawken Cougar
Senior Contributor

15 Replies
sw363535
Honored Advisor

Re: Voluntary taxes for those who want bigger government?

those are the ones that want someone else to pay for it.

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor

Re: Voluntary taxes for those who want bigger government?

Public generosity reached its high point in 2003 when Virginians forked over $6,602. The low point was in 2006, when the state received a measly $19.36.Actually, several States have tried it.  Here is a blurb I found on one:

At least that is what a peek at the so-called “Tax Me More Fund” suggests.

Since its inception in 2002, the fund has collected a total of $10,217.04.

It was established a year after Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee challenged proponents of higher taxes to contribute to a similar program when he was governor of Arkansas.

Both programs provide generous taxpayers with a way to contribute more of their money into the state’s coffers and allow lawmakers to highlight the hypocritical nature of higher-tax advocates.

“It’s amazing how people want to tax other people for every idea they have, and they are not willing to step up to the plate themselves, said Delegate M. Kirkland Cox,

-snip-

Public generosity reached its high point in 2003 when Virginians forked over $6,602. The low point was in 2006, when the state received a measly $19.36.

However, it sounds like someone is ready to try it on a National level:

H.R. 2411 – The ‘Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is’ Bill

A BILL

To provide for an employee election on Form W-4 to have amounts deducted and withheld from wages to be used to reduce the public debt.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1.  SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Reduce America’s Debt Now Act of 2011′.

SEC. 2. VOLUNTARY WITHHOLDING FROM PAYROLL FOR REDUCTION OF THE PUBLIC DEBT.

(a) In General- An employee may elect for an employer to deduct and withhold upon the payment of wages by such employer amounts to be used to reduce the public debt.

Read the full content of the bill at the link below:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:h2411:

Hawken Cougar
Senior Contributor

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

Re: Ya don't say?

What is nonsensical is the idea that the higher tax crowd would think that they could solve the problem all alone. Using you logic, I would conclude like so many do that I could not end the deficit if I paid all that I have in taxes, Therefore it would be illogical to tax me at all. That is the kind of garbage you folks post here.

Some of us actually think that iF every body paid what they should pay the deficit would be much smaller.  When they incentivise tax avoidance the reduce revenues to the point that deficits are probable. Now if you want to attack the spending that is actually causing the deficits, then your military budget would be slashed by a large percentage. Not just the military but the m,ilitary industrial complex as well.

WE have had decades of deficit spending on military and interest on the debt and you didn't think it was necessary to raise the revenues to pay for it. That is why it is necessary to have a declaration before we go to war and a public commitment to pay the additional tax to pay for it.

Hawken Cougar
Senior Contributor

Hawken Cougar
Senior Contributor

Hawken Cougar
Senior Contributor

r3020
Senior Advisor

Now that's what I call a hockey stick.

kraft-t
Senior Advisor

What you fail to say is that most of the entitlement spending is paid for with specific revenues for that purpose. The national debt is not caused by social spending. It has been created by other spending not paid for through taxation.