cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

vietnam era veteran

If a person is not a vietnam veteran but just a vietnam era veteran why even put vietnam in the story? Why not say former Marine? What narrative was the writer trying to push by putting vietnam in a non-vietnam story?

53 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: vietnam era veteran

a since edited story:

http://archive.is/3ZjhV

"In a previous interview with Phillips, he told Indian Country Today that returning from Vietnam was not easy as a veteran. “People called me a baby killer and a hippie girl spit on me.”"

Veteran Advisor

It's about "street-cred", which he has now lost.

Veteran Advisor

Somewhat interesting --  I didn't watch the video

https://newsmaven.io/indiancountrytoday/news/well-known-navy-seal-don-shipley-obtains-nathan-phillip...

"Shipley then describes the DD-214 in which Phillips has served as a private and exited the service as a private and received one medal. He also shows that Phillips went AWOL and was stationed in Nebraska and California. He had also served as a ReferMech or Refridgerator Mechanic."

“Don Shipley got the DD-214. Self-described "recon ranger" Nathan Phillips was a rifleman for two days and a refrigerator mechanic in Lincoln, Nebraska and El Toro, California the rest of his service. Retired a private.”

Senior Contributor

Same reason we continue to call World War 2 vets or Korean vets, even if they never saw combat 

Senior Contributor

Kind of like tom harkin claiming to be a 'nam vet, when he never was. 

Senior Contributor

Maybe he said he was a freon ranger and was misunderstood.

Honored Advisor

Wait a minute!!!  So, Nathan Phillips was AWOL????   Schurrbart will certainly unleash his wrath on that Liberal Indian for that.   I`m gonna pop some popcorn.

Veteran Advisor

I seriously doubt that you could get a copy if someone else’s DD214.
Veteran Advisor

Shipley is a liar. He would not be able to get someone else’s dd214