Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

walgreen tax cheats?

22 Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

Re: walgreen tax cheats?

did you read any of the comments after the article?  the first 3 pretty well sums it up IMO

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

If corps can pass on the tax bill to consumers, why do they oppose the tax bill?

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

So if we reduce or eliminate corporate taxes are you willing to pay more personal income tax to replace that?

Highlighted
Advisor

good question. been trying to figure that out myself. but they are still charge the tax and that goes to the bottom line so i guess they feel they are paying it. therefore they will go where they get the best deal. you know like dental work in mexico. no difference.

Highlighted
Advisor

maybe. what i would REALLY like is that the govt. would quit spending/wasting money. then they wouldn't waste so much time trying to figure out new ways to take it from us

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I read your article.   It would seem that Walgreens is going to pay $4 billion less in taxes, whether the rates are lowered or not.   Who pays for that?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Yes, they pass the higher taxes off to customers.   However, who do you think will sell more stuff, the company that has to sell their goods for a higher price, because of the extra taxes they have to pay, or the company that can sell identical stuff, at a lower price?

We are not living in a vacuum, we are stuck with free trade in a global economy.   Walgreens does not sell anything that cannot be purchased at a different store.  If those different stores can sell the same thing at a lower price, what will happen to Walgreen's market share?

Whether we like it or not, with global financing and free trade, people and corporations will likely go to where they can put/keep the most money in their pocket, when they can.

Highlighted
Senior Advisor

So you don't think companies like Walgreens has any civic responsibility to the nation and the people that made them what they are? I think corporations and businesses should be licensed. If they aren't civicly responsible they lose their license to do business.

Government is not a free ride for anybody that does business here and shows a profit. If you are trying to avoid your share of the responsibility, why do we allow you to compete with those that are responsible?

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Walgreens is known for their charitable grants, foundations, and giving in times of need.  I do not agree with your idea that businesses should be licensed to be able to do business, and will lose their license if they don't do their civic duty.   Way too much potential for abuse.  Who decides on the definition of being 'civically responsible', and what measures would be taken against those who are not.  Think about what would happen if your home district were taken over by Tea Partiers, and told you that it was your 'civic duty' to donate to the NRA, or they would revoke your licence to farm.  

Here is but one example of Walgreens doing something civically responsible:

Walgreens Donations after Hurricane Isaac Reach more than $100,000 in First Week after Storm

Truckloads of products donated to the American Red Cross in hardest hit states

DEERFIELD, Ill., September 5, 2012 - In the week after Hurricane Isaac made landfall along the Gulf Coast, Walgreens (NYSE: WAG) (NASDAQ: WAG) responded with donations of more than $100,000 worth of products to the American Red Cross for relief efforts in the hardest-hit states. The company delivered three truckloads of food items to Red Cross facilities in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama for distribution to first responders and those in need.

“We’re proud that Walgreens can be counted on to respond quickly in emergency situations to assist communities in need,” said John Gremer, Walgreens director of community affairs.

-snip-

As far as doing business with those who are civically responsible, the horse is long out of the barn on that one.  
However, all is not lost, we can choose, as individuals, with our own dollars, as to who we wish to reward.