cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: what has wikileaks done that is wrong

Veteran Advisor

We all already know that he lied about the invasion of Iraq.  Those docs are already out there.  As to the bringing down of anything, all I'm sure of is that he has done a fair job of bringing down this govt.  The thing about the towers is just a figment of your imagination.  Only a Jerry Fletcher would think something like that or even keep telling it just to try to poke fun at someone.

Veteran Advisor

I've become of one mind with ollie on this one...which is causing considerable consternation for me....but nonetheless.

The best source of rational discussion I've found on the matter is thsi blog from the UK:

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/article937990.ece

Veteran Contributor

I do know he is incarcerated in Britain and probably heading for Sweden to face sex charges.  I don't know first hand of the occurances you mentioned but it would not be a stretch at all to say that harm has come to some who were helping the US or other countries combat our enemies or some governments are now very reluctant to share information with other governments and intelligence agencies as a result of the release of classified documents by this guy.  That won't be a good thing for the  civilized world.  The charges against Assange may be trumped up as a way of getting him in custody, but maybe not.  What if he decided he had the "goods" as a free pass to do whatever he wanted to do and get away with it?  I wonder if that's the case.  Sweden doesn't seem like a country to me that would participate in arranging false charges against a liberal.   

Veteran Advisor

One thing they are for sure is a savvy outfit. They've been able to stay up and running in spite of large numbers of servers and other internet concerns (I'm so ignorant of it all I don't have a clue what to call them) cutting access, and apparantly are raising huge sums of money to keep their efforts going. The supply of hackers and other techies who would be willing to work, probably for nothing, for them is unlikely endless. Something like this is exactly what many of those technoids have been waiting for all their life.

Assange says that he has a "nuke" like file sitting poised to be dumped at a moments notice on so many sources that it can't be blocked that exposes the banking system and could bring down a biggie or two. My guess would be that "the system" believes him and that Sweden is simply playing along. The allegations at hand had been thoroughly investigated and never led to charges. No court would arraign without considerable new evidence and all they have is the words of those 2 women who I doubt would want to perjure themselves by changing their stories. And if nox's source is accurate, one of the is a known black op.

Veteran Advisor

I'm sorry but first thing is, I don't care what ollie says, thinks or does.  I don't read him any more.  I also don't think that this is a good thing.  Besides the fact that most of the leaks so far were military operational plans and data concerning them and could have/maybe did cause considerable harm to our ability to effectively fight a war.  The second part about the diplomatic cables does nothing to make the American public better but it does do harm when our diplomats have to deal with foreign diplomats and the word is out that so and so called the so and so a jerk or worse behind his back.  As I said earlier, I dealt with stuff like this for 27 years and regardless of the famous quote and attitude that caused us to really be behind the 8 ball when WWII started,  "Gentlemen don't read other gentlemen's mail", we do and we shall continue to in order to survive.  To disclose this "secrets" causes much harm to the way we do business around the globe.  The American public doesn't have the "need to Know" everything.

Veteran Contributor

And the technoids are mobilizing as we write.

I have my doubts that Sweden would be playing along with a scheme but admit I could be wrong.  If the two women were violated I don't want to see justice denied for them because Assange is threatening to release more damaging information.  He would be able to get away with as many rapes as he wants to if he gets away with this assuming he did it.

Veteran Advisor

For sure on the organization thing. I doubt that any of us (of a skill level below Craig's brother) have any concept whatsoever of what the real top notch geeks can do. Or, better, just what it is that they can do.

If whatever he alledgedly did is rape under Swedish law and they can prove that he did it he should be convicted. But it is interesting that he was investigated previously on the same allegations and no charges were filed. It's not double indemnity, but close and I can't see how any magistrate would hear it. Unless, of course, there is some overwhelming new evidence or informatio.

I expect that the Swedes are simply bending over to not look obstructive. Extraditoin is another thing. The U.S. or some otehr country woul dhave to coe up with some sort of charge ro charges that are unheard of. Maybe some obscure statute that's never been used before. Who knows?  Could become more agressive maybe. .And it appears that if he were to drop off of the face of the earth that nothing would change with the organization. The steeley eyed number 2 guy who is running the show in the interim looks like he's mean, to go along with the rest of it. Assange seems more to just be a freaky eccentric.

It's going to be very difficult to take him out on leaking anything when all fo the documetns had been accesible to anybody wo wanted to look for them and knew what they were looking for. WL has simply taken the time to tie them together.

Senior Contributor

What he did wrong was embarrass the liberals. They were perfectly happy with him as long as they thought he was going to expose Bush but when that fizzled and he started to embarrass the liberals he had to be taken out.

Veteran Advisor

Thing seems to be though brian that none of what has come out has technically been "secret". These dumps are more like a digest.

If they help to end the wars isn't that as important to Americans as how they affect the engagement in them? If we were engged in some encouter with an agressor soveriegnty out of a defensive position it might be another matter.