cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Re:how you do that

A democracy govrns by compromise a dictatership  governs without compromise, which do you want

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Guess it depends on which biased rag you read.  What I read was that Doyle said it and Biden agreed with him but did not use the word "terrorists".  So what?  He probably could have since that is pretty much what they were doing--trying to force their will on Congress even though the majority of Congress had a better understanding of the consequences of default than the tea party.  They were/are willing to sacrifice the country in favor of a principal that is flawed at best.  The art of compromise is that each party decides what they can live without and then give that away if they have to.  If you never compromise, you will never achieve all that you wish.  Ever sell anything for less than you advertised?  Most people have and that is called compromise.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

So, if you have something for sale for $10,000, and someone comes and offers you $1, you would compromise, and sell it to them for $5,000.50?  What if they wanted you to pay them $10,000 to take it, would you compromise, and give it to them for free?

Everyone, well at least everyone I know has a point where they will not compromise beyond. 

Whenever you compromise with someone in government who wants to increase spending, you always wind up increasing spending.

The TEA party people campaigned on the 'cut spending first, raise taxes last' platform, and when they decided to stay true to their word, people were having a conniption fit. 

I guess it all depends on which biased rag you read, because I have read headlines that read anything from:
TEA party sticks to campaign promises, Congress unsure how to react

all the way to:

Senate Democrats stick to their principals against unyielding TEA party members,

and all sorts in between.

Funny, but wasn't it the lead Democrat who made a speech saying that this country needed to cut down on the 'Rhetoric of Hate'? (or was it Rhetoric of Violence) just a few short months ago, before they were calling people in Congress Terrorists, or saying they were holding a 'gun to the head' of the country.

Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Great statment, hobby! Something most normal people understand.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Compromise, just for the sake of compromise, is not always a good thing.

Neville Chamberlan made a great 'compromise' which was supposed to 'Bring Peace Within Our Time'

How did all that work out????

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

You just failed Debate 101!

Highlighted
Advisor

Chamberlain's "compromise" when givne the revisionist, pop culture reading shows as some great individual moral failing.

What is never sai is that he was the victim of a stacked and corrupt compromise internally before he ever engaged with Hitler. Western (some of them here in the U.S.. ) prime financial interests were deeply invested in Germany and had no moral compunction to have their investments threatened with the ravages of war. He was carrying their water onthat trip...not that of the individualvictims of The Reich who were having theri freedoms removed. Some in the most extreme manner possible, Or of Poland or any of the other early  

Nothing new under the sun.....our President,, elected for more than any other reason in that he seemed to be a decent person after the Cheney, Rumsfeld, Bolton, Fieth, Boykins etc. experience has been doing that very same thing in his dealing with the primos here. Time will only tell if he'll ever reform that position.

I'm sure there were people who tried to enlighten him, but the highest priced suits prevailed. And got the advisory and cabinet posts.

Veteran Advisor

Well, I never did have any formal training, or even a class on debate in school.

How did I lose, though?  You commented about 'compromise' when it came to the price of something you were selling, I gave examples of compromise that might not always be good.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

So, are you saying he would have been better off had he not 'compromised'?

I was pointing out that compromise, just for the sake of compromise is not always a good thing.  There are times when you HAVE to stand up for your principals, or you won't have any.

Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

What you gave were ridiculous numbers.  Of course, no one would drop $5000 against a $1 offer.  But let's say you had a car that was valued at $20K and you still owed $15K to the bank.  You listed it for sale at $19900.  Depending on whether you just wanted to get rid of the car and payment or you wanted to get enough money to buy a different car, then you have $4900 to play with.  If you get an offer of $17K, you might tell him that you could go to $19K and you would either stand firm or go lower depending on what your motive for selling is.  That is called compromise.  You only give away what you can realistically live with.