cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

worth a read

http://thearchdruidreport.blogspot.com/2014/02/fascism-and-future-part-three-weimar.html

"In point of fact, as Walter Laqueur showed in his capable survey Weimar: A Cultural History, denouncing the Weimar Republic as a fascist regime was quite the lively industry in Germany in the very late 1920s and early 1930s. Unfortunately for those who made this claim, history has a wicked sense of humor.  A good many of the people who liked to insist that Weimar Germany was a fascist state got to find out—in many cases, at the cost of their lives—that there really is a difference between a troubled, dysfunctional, and failing representative democracy and a totalitarian state, and that a movement that promises to overturn a broken status quo, and succeeds in doing so, is perfectly capable of making things much, much worse"

Worth reading. It sort of speaks to my ultimate annoyance with people who are sufficiently radicalized to say "it can't get any worse so just do something."  Yes it can, always.

Although fully symptomatic of the times he describes, folks on both sides will read this and "yep, that's what those other folks are gonna do."

12 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: worth a read

Nox, that's been the message of the tea [taxed enough already] party from the first protest. If we don't get our spending under control things will get much, much worse. That was 7 trillion dollars ago. All they have been met with is racist extremist thumpin haters.

Highlighted
Advisor

Well, looking at the debt cumulatively, $2-3 T was rung up from normal operations during the Bush years because tax cuts did not stimulate the economy and thus revenue to any great degree, and expenditures continued to increase.

Another $2-3 T went to two wars. That's an estimation- the $4-6 T number that's bandied about includes future costs including veterans care and accelerated need for replacement of equipment. The extra $1-2 T is a future burden.

The $7 T added since is more a matter of revenue than of spending. True, expenditures rose with the Great Recession- primarily due to automatic stabilizers such as UI and SNAP and, of course the terrible stimulus bill. But by far the larger matter is that revenue collapsed with the economy.

The deficit is now dropping very rapidly, owing first to higher revenue due to a bettrer economy and second, take your pick based on your political alignment, slightly higher tax rates on the upper end and GOP rear guard spending curbs.

The real takeaway is, though, of the extraordinarily destructive impact of severe economic contraction. For that you can blame '90s Repubs and Dems for financial deregulation, the Bush Administration for criminal failure of oversight of the mortgage business, Dems for Franny. I'm certainly open to a bipartisan interpretation fo that.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Well, just look how divided the country is, it`s kind of like a big family of say 10 kids.  The drunken dad comes home and beats 2 of them everyday, spoils rotten 3 of them and overworks and steals from the remaining 5 kids.  As divided as things are, the system that will take it`s place (I think less than 5 years from now) will be very scary. 

Perhaps those wanting to break up America into 9 different regions isn`t so dumb afterall, the Union will have to be broken up in order to save it.   Think about it, if America because 9 small, Euopean types, there wouldn`t be a federal government strong enough to get into "foreign entanglements".  If you like gays, but not guns then just move to a American "region" where all the gays and none of the guns are.  With these "irreconcilable diffences", perhaps a divorce is the only answer.

The above mentioned divorce will of course never happen, because the power is too concentrated.  And if war was necessary, as the skrimish in the mid-1800`s showed to "save the union" it would happen again.

Here`s a question for everyone to ponder:  If Abraham Lincoln had drones at his disposal, would he have used them against the south?   Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Advisor

Of course he would have. They are actually a legitimate tool of declared war, as much as anything is.

The better question is would he have used them against northern Copperheads and other domestic opponents to the war. Quite possibly although while he did behave in an authoritarian fashion during the war I'm not aware that he had anyone assassinated.

Highlighted
Advisor

More to the point. I don't know if you read it or not but the point would be that I'm probably not going to be able to convince you not to dig your own grave.

Highlighted
Honored Advisor

As far as "the deficit coming down", I hope the too many champagen bottles haven`t been opened, that stuff loses carbonation fast.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101062461 

How long "zero %"  interest rates continue is the real question. ......"oh but the economy has to improve for interest to go up"     So why is the deficit down?     "Why the economy is improving, silly!"     Oh, okay   Smiley Indifferent

Highlighted
Advisor

Were the dems behind " the everyone should own as house idea"
Highlighted
Advisor

That should be a house not as house ,dang android
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Yes I did read your link story, the author makes good points however those that he puts in "blacker-gray" hats are mixed up with those that he puts in "whiter-gray" hats.   I flat out think that barring the coming of the anti-christ, this country will be at eachother`s throats so bad that in 5 years communism will fill the void, that is only my opinion.

This is why I vote the "lesser evil" Republicans, yearning to go back to 2008 (or anytime in America`s history for that matter)   I understand that God will not forsake me, but I really don`t look forward to the next few years.