cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 acres: enough to build a farm?

I recently came into possession of a bit of land in CT. If I'm gonna keep this land, I have to put it to work. Is 3 acres enough land to set up a profitable farm? I was thinking a combination berry/herb garden. 

Before you all say it, I'm gonna say it myself: I have no idea what I'm doing. 

I'm here to find out if this is a feasible idea or not. What initial investment would I need to clear the land and buy a tractor? I'd probably want to build a sizable greenhouse for the herbs. I'm aware that getting up with the sun is not an optional part of this, and that I need to be disciplined. That part isn't hard for me. 

So, any advice for me? Is it possible for me to grow enough on 3 acres that the land would pay for it's own taxes at least? What are the most profitable/most reliable crops? 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: 3 acres: enough to build a farm?

I think you could make money off 3 acres raising berries.   You might want to "add value" by making jams, jellies and preserves.  Maybe find out unique berries that differentiate from your competition, like probably everyone raises strawberries, but not everyone raises Aronia berries.   I think it`s one of those things that you`ll have to research your area climate and soil and markets and try to make all that come together.  good luck.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I don't think you have a hope in hell of making it on a  start-from-scratch 3 acre farm, especially if you are not experienced.

Go to the closest land grant university and look for information on berry or other small farming.  I'm not familiar with your area, but there must be one in New England.  You need a business plan.  You'll need a market for your production.  You'll need to grow something that people want to pay for.  (Growing berries or anything else is fine, if people want to buy them, but a loser if the produce isn't wanted.)

Check all the zoning and make sure you can do what you want legally.

You might consider leasing it out to someone and then work with/for them until it's established.

The information is out there in the land grant universities.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Not sure of property tax structure in CT but keep in mind as you make improvements tax will likely go up.  Best of luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

Find out what people want and get good at raising it. Remember that sometimes the atmosphere that you create is just as important as the crop.  

0 Kudos

Yes it is Enough to build a farm, the Most profitable plants to grow in a farm with my knowledge are 

Bamboo: It’s a versatile plant in the landscape, as it can be used for hedges, screens or as stand-alone “specimen” plants, this makes it profitable with low maintenance costs.

Ginseng: Nicknamed “green gold”, the value of this plant is in its slow growing roots. Even though growing ginseng requires a six year wait to harvest the mature roots, most growers also sell young “rootlets” and seeds for income while waiting for the roots to mature. Over the six year period, growers can make as much as $100,000 on a half-acre plot from seeds, rootlets and mature roots.

Ground Covers: Due to high labor costs and water shortages, ground covers are becoming the sensible, low-maintenance way to landscape. Growers like ground covers too, as they are easy to propagate, grow and sell. Bringing profits of up to $20 per square foot.

Above are Some of the suggestions I hope this will be helpful for you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
cashaber
Friend

3 Acres is plenty. I read about a 1 Acre farm bringing in a million a yr. so if they can do it you can too.  I myself have a Christmas tree farm using about 3 acres

0 Kudos