cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Nice Topic for a board.

Too bad, there isn't a policy for actual ( non - inheriting )  new / beginning farmers instead of encouraging the current herd  to devour each other and expand via subsidy.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Nice Topic for a board.

Completely agree Judge, ag is way to dynastic. And the welfare whores love there crop insurance don't they.

0 Kudos
Advisor

I'm sure this area will die or we will get the weirdos
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I hope not.

It was a real loss when the young farmers got segregated away last time.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

very good point made. have a personal experiance with this issue, but not a big deal for me will help me in the long run. i have always wondered why a person wants to farm the whole county. i like to have neigbors to visit with. sad thing is a young person that wants to farm will have a hard time getting in, will have to wait till all the big ones use up all thier equity. the opertunities are just begining if you are in the right spot.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Brokefarmer,
I agree wholeheartedly. When I was young and growing up on my dad's pole bean farm, we always had the opportunity to talk to neighboring farmers. Very few farmed more than 200 acres. When bush beans came in and the canneries wanted to dictate planting times and delivery dates, all but a few gave up growing green beans. You just could not justify the harvest machinery cost on smaller farms.
Though no longer involved in fresh vegetable production, I see a huge discrepancy in profitability and production between older farmers and younger farmers who farm the same sized farms. There is no substitute for experience or listening to the advice of some more experienced growers. The great thing about the younger growers that I have seen with our company is how they can inspire the older guys to try new things and take their advice at the same time.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I saw an article saying that the New England area has been having a pretty large increase in small farmsteads. possibly millienials growing specialty crops for farmers markets. The article touched on how the USDA could help these people. Course that brings up the old arguments of what is and what isn't a farm.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

In my opinion the size doesn't matter. If your growing it and living from the land, it's a farm.
Senior Contributor

Question is how many actually live on the farm income and not off farm income. My guess is the majority have off farm income. I only know of two in this area, us and another dairy farmer who farms enough acreage to sell grains and hay. But I am not pretending to come anywhere near knowing the particulars of all.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Good point dairy Mom.  That is one of the more disappointing topics to me at least in my area.  I believe we have plenty of young people willing to come back to the farm and keep it going for at least another generation but are unsure if the income they generate from the farm will be enough to support a decent living as well as supporting the farm.  I don't blame them if they don't want to double dip with working off the farm.  I choose to do this but I admit at times I too question my methods.  Working 15-18 hours a day at times puts a strain an family life.  Thank goodness I've got an understanding family that are willing to help me whenever I need it.

0 Kudos