Honored Advisor

BSE Case----Canada

Canada Confirms BSE Case      02/13 08:17

Last Confirmed Case in 2011

Canadian officials have confirmed a case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy

in a beef cow in Alberta.

(Dow Jones) -- Canada said it had confirmed a case of bovine spongiform

encephalopathy in a beef cow in Alberta, adding that no part of the animal

entered the human food or animal feed systems.

----------------------------------------

Any chance this is a nutrition induced condition rather than whatever scares the public?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: BSE Case----Canada

I didn`t see you posted on here about the mad cow, SW.  I got the news about 5 hours after you  Smiley Embarassed   and posted on the Market section.

The Canadians don`t think they`ll be any others, but then again this is from the same country whose Ag Minister said of the first mad cow..."they should`ve shutup and shoveled".

We need C.O.O.L.  imho

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Here is a link to information on BSE (Mad Cow Disease).  

http://eden.lsu.edu/topics/agdisasters/bse/pages/default.aspx  

From reading the link, it sounds like people are not sure the exact cause of BSE.  

It is good that the infected cow did not get into the food supply.  Hopefully this is the only cow that was infected.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: BSE Case-Canada. Keep it There. MO

Can has had so many bse deals the past 15 years maybe the queen needs to help em out.

jeez...bunch of folks likely still feeding Meat and Bone Meal there ( That is rather Obvious ) again. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: BSE Case----Canada, it could easily b an

an inadvertent or environmental case.

deer, elk, moose etc pick it up depending on the year. ( cattle can too )

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Is it similar to the "wasteing" disease in the deer population in the north US a few years back.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

BSE and CWD (Chronic Wasting Disease) sound similar to me.  One noticeable difference is that CWD is believed to be contagious, but BSE is believed to be non-contagious.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

BA - I would hope this latest news release could be a glimmer of strength for COOL ---

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I hope so too, a few years ago packers put some undue paperwork on a guy to prove his livestock was from a domestic supply.  The buyers would apologise that "I know you and where you live and these are hogs and probably don`t have mad cow, but still you have to fill this out"  Then haven`t heard anymore about it the last few years, I figured they all wanted us to call our congressperson, angry about all the red tape.  But the US meat supply is the best in the world and we need to uphold that.

0 Kudos