cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Back in the business

The Shaggy ponderosa is back in the cow/calf business. Brought home some fall pairs on Friday, now do I add a few springers or just be content with what I've got?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Back in the business

As I traveled to Great Bend from N E Nebraska I noticed a few milo fields being cut and as green as the leaves where on the stubble I have to ask about foraging for brood cows in those fields ---  

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Great Bend, and you didn't call me? I cut a little Milo this past Friday and I plan on grazing the stocks in the near future. Waiting for the new herd to get settled in the area before I turn them out on an electric fence. Grazing Milo stalks is very common in this part even if the plant has already froze.
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Do you plan on testing for nitrates and prussic acid? Cheap feed can get really expensive if levels are high enough to kill a cow or cause her to abort.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Might be a good idea Nutlug. Not sure if it's really necessary as this Milo didn't really suffer. However testing the quality of feed is probably cheap compared to cows that won't breed back.
0 Kudos