cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BeldenFarm
Friend

Beef X Holstein Cross

The beef holstein cross wave is gaining speed quickly and I am wondering what people think about how they grow in comparison to traditional beef animals. Also, what beef breed do you prefer to cross with a holstein? I have read lots of research about it, but want to know what people like in the real world. 

As for us, we are a dairy farm just starting to mess around with crosses. We have hereford X holstein and Angus X holstein. So far we really like the structure of the Angus X holstein steers, but have yet to send one to the packing plant yet. Just had another half angus born the other day to a mostly white holstein and the calf came out completely black 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Beef X Holstein Cross

Holstien  X Hereford cross would be my choice - those baldies are great moma cows also --- 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

That's how I got my start in the cattle bussiness. Dad bought a few Holsteins durring the buyout in the eighties. We breed them to our angus bull, sold them back to other dairies. With the agreement that we could have the calves. I raised the calves to maturity, marketing the steers and keeping the hiefers for cows. One thing I'm not sure people know about Holstiens is that they mature sooner than beef breeds. The steers were ready to butcher at 13 to 15 months. Which lead to some very tender steaks. The ones I kept for cows raised great calves but required a lot of feed. I never measured or weighed it but it looked like they would eat about 1.5 times as much as a straight angus cow.
As I am on the verge of getting out of the cattle business this has brought back some great memories. I'm glad you posted.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

WHAT!!! Getting out of the cattle business at these prices? I thought I was crazy for getting in at this moment.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Maybe I'll buy them back next year for half the price.
0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I believe you'll have an opportunity to buy back at 1/2 price, but I don't think it'll be next year. At least I hope not.

I've got an order for a few fall bred cows out now, didn't have any luck last week. Saw a few small herds but they were either to old or to young for what I'm wanting. We'll give er another shot this week. Prices are almost freighting. $2500 for broken mouth and $3300-$3500 for 1st and 2nd calf heifers.
0 Kudos