cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

Cattle Trailers

Looking for a new gooseneck cattle trailer.  According to the parking lot at the auction barn this afternoon Titan must have a darn good trailer.  I'm betting close to 75% of all trailers were Titans.  Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Veteran Advisor

Re: Cattle Trailers

Merritt or Wilson on the alum. side have the over the road spend lots of $$$ side covered although a practical steel trailer for half the costs will do the job . Also I like a trailer with a small slat opening in the middle so your contents are visable. We have a W-W 6 x16 and a 15 year old Kiefer we have replaced the wood floors in although I put rubber horse mats on the floor to stable the footing. Your local dealer is probably more dominate than brand names as the nuts and bolts of things are pretty much standard. Tires become an issue with the real off brand stuff comeing from China and the side walls are total junk ---  

0 Kudos
Advisor

I have a 2008 Eby 16x6 I bought new.  This is probably the most common brand name here in Ohio.  The other poster is right about tires.  I paid extra for a spare tire which was a continental tire.  My daughter was helping me hook up once and she called my attention to the tire, mounted in the front of the trailer.  The tread had started to seperate from the casing and had never been used, 0 miles on it.  To make a long story short Continental refused to do anything about it since the tire was over 2 years old.  The other tires are some off brand but seem to be holding up OK.  Mine has the smoked plexiglass to totally enclose the trailer for winter use.  It also has about a 1" removable panel just above the fenders for extra airflow in summer which I have never removed yet.  I think 2008 was the last year of the flat nosed trailers, it's like pulling 2 sheets of plywood down the road.  The newer ones are V-nosed.  I'm not sure about putting rubber mats on the floor.  It seems to me the floor would never dry out under the mats and therefore rot out faster, but just my opinion.  It's a good trailer but like the other guy said it all depends on the dealer in your area.  BTW I've never seen or heard of a Titan trailer.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

I have a 6 by24 W W trailer I bought several years ago at a farm auction. Thing I like about it is the pipe top rather than a solid roof. Much easier to see inside and I think cattle load better with it being light inside. I think gooseneck brand trailers are similar. The other thing to look at is the gates. On mine the whole gate will swing or one side can slide open. The slide is nice when loading through a narrow alley
0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

nwobcw - out here in the western area we hope we get enough moisture to make the floor rot out Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy 

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

From my experience, the moisture doesn't contribute to the rotting of a cattle trailer floor as much as other substances.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

EBY is most popular in southern Ohio also. I have a very cheap Valley bumper pull. I have a heavy felt belting material on the floor of mine. It doesn't get slick under any conditions. I pull it out every few months to clean and dry the wood floor.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

We use a Hillsboro  7x24  like it a lot.  They do steel and some aluminum if you need to keep up with someone.  

They look good,,,, but having the best looking cattle at the sale is a better goal.  Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Cowifornia noob alles

moo

0 Kudos